1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #21 / 51
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:
    soft wizard wrote: ... a few minutes ago, I became the number one-ranked player on the wargear warfare board. I am kind of psyched about this.

Congrats!  This is a big achievement for the #1-played board on the site!

+1  =)

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

2. #22 / 51
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

soft wizard wrote:

Unfortunately, unless my next result is a win, I'll be banished back behind that Hugh guy. That jerk. He just sits there resting on his laurels, and I've been chasing him for months. Hah.

First, congratulations! It is a difficult achievement, worthy of praise :)

When I broke through and settled in, the others were in the 2100s, so I thought I'd sit and enjoy it. Less than three months! The glory doesn't last long. Even if you lose some of those games you're in, poloquebec is on the brink too, so I may as well stop resting.

3. #23 / 51
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

btilly wrote:
    soft wizard wrote:
    M57 wrote:

Amazingly, almost all of your games were not fogged.  I would have not thought that possible.

Huh. I wouldn't have necessarily thought fog made it easier to win (unless you happen to be uniquely good at playing with fog, which I don't believe I am).

It is not that fog makes it easier to win.  It is that fog increases the skill differential.  In non-fogged games people can see what you're doing and gang up on the leader.

I don't know if fog requires more skill to win in all cases.  It may depend on the map and how many players are playing.  In some games, someone can just attack everything and acquire lots of territory and "defend with 1s"and get lucky if everyone else concentrates on other areas.  I think it just depends for each map/player combo.

Not all fog games are truly foggy either - there's a lot of PMing and public calls for help.  Depends again on the map as to how much of an advantage this can be.

Edited Fri 8th Mar 16:29 [history]

4. #24 / 51
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:
    soft wizard wrote:

Unfortunately, unless my next result is a win, I'll be banished back behind that Hugh guy. That jerk. He just sits there resting on his laurels, and I've been chasing him for months. Hah.

When I broke through and settled in, the others were in the 2100s, so I thought I'd sit and enjoy it. Less than three months! The glory doesn't last long. Even if you lose some of those games you're in, poloquebec is on the brink too, so I may as well stop resting.

Lol, you're under assault Hugh, 'cause I'm coming for Stargear again.  What other maps do you own...  =D

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

5. #25 / 51
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think he was high on Islands of Kjeldor. ;) - As for fog - fog makes it easier for the player that starts the game in good position to win. If said player can acquire some early bonuses without others (or, at worst, 1 or 2 players) realizing this, it goes a long way towards victory.

Edited Fri 8th Mar 17:49 [history]

6. #26 / 51
    Standard Member soft wizard
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:
    soft wizard wrote:

Excellent! I look forward to the opportunity to play against you!

7. #27 / 51
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: I think he was high on Islands of Kjeldor. ;) - As for fog - fog makes it easier for the player that starts the game in good position to win. If said player can acquire some early bonuses without others (or, at worst, 1 or 2 players) realizing this, it goes a long way towards victory.

Yeah, based on my experience, if you fog a standard geographic-style map, you decrease the value of skill. I.e., winning is more random. So, if soft wizard is skilled enough to trample Hugh this way, he'd have the greatest advantage in non- or less-foggy versions of the standard map against typical opponents.

8. #28 / 51
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Phew -- Hugh overtook me for a bit, but I'm back in the saddle. Bring it, H!

9. #29 / 51
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

smoke wrote:
    Thingol wrote: I think he was high on Islands of Kjeldor. ;) - As for fog - fog makes it easier for the player that starts the game in good position to win. If said player can acquire some early bonuses without others (or, at worst, 1 or 2 players) realizing this, it goes a long way towards victory.

Yeah, based on my experience, if you fog a standard geographic-style map, you decrease the value of skill. I.e., winning is more random. So, if soft wizard is skilled enough to trample Hugh this way, he'd have the greatest advantage in non- or less-foggy versions of the standard map against typical opponents.

This should be a discussion for strategy and tactics.  My impression is that adding some fog creates a luck factor, but also increases the edge that skill gives.

Also known people tend to get targeted.  Fog reduces how much that happens.

Edited Mon 11th Mar 01:28 [history]

10. #30 / 51
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

And now, we congratulate poloquebec! I was atop yet again before polo took it. I only mention that because I received no praise for taking the spot when I took and for holding it as long as I did :)  It's going to be a revolving door slugfest for a while.

11. #31 / 51
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I rain praise upon thee Hugh, and now mention that I had the top spot for about 2 days. Yaaay! 

12. #32 / 51
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:

And now, we congratulate poloquebec! I was atop yet again before polo took it. I only mention that because I received no praise for taking the spot when I took and for holding it as long as I did :)  It's going to be a revolving door slugfest for a while.

People tend to hand out compliments when someone does unexpectedly well.

You've set expectations to a point where holding #1 on the hardest board for a long stretch is not unexpected.  That's kind of amazing.

Congratulations for being such a consistently good player that people consider such amazing things expected from you!

13. #33 / 51
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

btilly wrote:
    Hugh wrote:

People tend to hand out compliments when someone does unexpectedly well.

You've set expectations to a point where holding #1 on the hardest board for a long stretch is not unexpected.  That's kind of amazing.

Congratulations for being such a consistently good player that people consider such amazing things expected from you!

It's like when LeBron James does a slam dunk or Leo Messi gets voted Player of the Year. :)

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

14. #34 / 51
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Just out of interest, how many games would I have to win in a row to grab the top spot? Are we talking dozens, hundreds, thousands?

Off Topic!

15. #35 / 51
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Back in the hunt after a long layoff! Top 10!

16. #36 / 51
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Aiken Drumn wrote:

Just out of interest, how many games would I have to win in a row to grab the top spot? Are we talking dozens, hundreds, thousands?

Kind of interested in doing this math now.  Let's assume we are talking about WGWF.  You play 10 player games on average, and your opponents have an average ranking of 1100, and you start at 1000.

So your score starts at s(0)=1000

Each time you win, it's now:

s(N+1) = s(N) + 10 * 20 * 1100 / s(N) 

Currently top score is 2959

so we want to find the lowest N where s(N) > 2959.

I put together a spreadsheet so you can play with the #s if you want, but I think you'd need to win 18 games in a row.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19SbjJ8CpJNgfMT6zQVv5bXFgX8i3-_6b2bAHD3dWNYM/edit?usp=sharing

N S(N)
    0 1000
    1 1220
    2 1400.327869
    3 1557.433933
    4 1698.691931
    5 1828.203349
    6 1948.540072
    7 2061.445115
    8 2168.166365
    9 2269.634593
    10 2366.566496
    11 2459.528177
    12 2548.976228
    13 2635.285389
    14 2718.767808
    15 2799.686818
    16 2878.267036
    17 2954.701918
    18 3029.159513
    19 3101.78692
    20 3172.713778
    21 3242.055047
    22 3309.913241
    23 3376.38024
    24 3441.538778
    25 3505.463671
    26 3568.222844
    27 3629.878186
    28 3690.486281

Edited Sat 29th Oct 00:10 [history]

17. #37 / 51
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

nice

18. #38 / 51
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

The current top score is... astonishing. Yowza. Far beyond what the top score was a few years ago. What's that player doing?

19. #39 / 51
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Winning. Alot.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

20. #40 / 51
    Premium Member IRsmart
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

soft wizard wrote: The current top score is... astonishing. Yowza. Far beyond what the top score was a few years ago. What's that player doing?

That player is basking in his glory and scared shit to play anymore as the only way is down! ;)

But I'd welcome any challenge to knock IR off top!

Edited Mon 31st Oct 15:07 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)