Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 41
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hi all

The new Designer is ready to test if anyone is up for it. Here's how to install it:

Step 1
    Install Adobe AIR (standalone non-browser based HTML / Flash environment)

Mac Users: http://www.wargear.net/files/AdobeAIR.dmg
    PC Users: http://www.wargear.net/files/AdobeAIR.exe

Step 2
    Both Mac and PC users download http://www.wargear.net/files/Designer_v1.0.air

Step 3
    Install Adobe Air by running the dmg or exe file then double click on the AIR file to launch the Designer inside Adobe AIR.

You'll need to log in with your regular Wargear account and then you should see your Board List. Select your chosen Board using the button on the right then click on Load Board at the top left to load it into the Designer.

Other than the login process and Board List, everything else should be unchanged from the old Designer.

Please let me know about any issues that you find here.

2. #2 / 41
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok, so just taking a look, going to make a list of comments regardless of their impact/need for fixing/ability to fix: 

• Designer is a whole new login app/window (assume that's for now, that once debugged it'll at a minimum link from the site)
    • board list
      • doesn't scale with size window, maintains a static 800x600 size
      • needs a couple clicks to make 'all' filter work correctly (off and back on again)
      • Live & Dev filter doesn't allow 'toggle scenarios' work correctly, have to be in 'all' for it to show all scenarios (assume the case for other filters, just don't have anything in them)
      • doesn't highlight which filter is active, (should prolly have an indicator that 'scenarios' is active also)
    • designer - everything seems to be working so far
      • resizes ok
      • kinda awkward to 'load board' after you've already selected the scenario you're loading
        • unless you're planning to have the other actions you could take from here also (retire, edit xml, etc)
      • settings tab downloads and uploads new board image (only checked board image option)
      • design tab adds, edits, deletes territories; adds borders and modifiers; adds continents
      • cards tab uploads new images
      • colors tab allows colors to change
      • have not looked at rules tab
    •  Can return to board list

I just got word that work IT will be scrubbing our PCs/laptops of all unauthorized s/w sometime in the near future, so that may mean less time to check things like this out unless they're embedded into the site (just hoping they don't decide to blacklist it like they did ToS way back when). I'm hoping i can justify the use of paint.net to edit work images so they grandfather it on my machine...

Overall damn fine work Tom! some of the above needs addressing, and i'm sure some of the other more intricate designers will find other things (i don't do factories for instance, but i think that's all in the xml anyway).  

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #3 / 41
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Fantastic feedback thanks wt, I'll get those issues fixed.

4. #4 / 41
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tom, I used the new designer for a new board (simple mechanics, no factories) - no issues.

I concur with weathertop though on the boards with multiple scenarios - no way to dig down to the scenario level. I have a live map, DungeonOpoly, opened to update for a missing view border into a dungeon spot - so, a simple change, but it's only for about 4 of the available scenarios.

5. #5 / 41
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

you *can* dig into as specific scenario now, if you are in the "All" mode and toggle scenarios 'on'. Then it's just a matter of picking the one u want to update. (but depending on how many boards/scenarios you have, you'll have to scroll - tom mentions he's going to fix that) FYI, if you can't wait.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 41
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

ah, thanks weathertop, yes I was able to find and update the scenarios and then promote the changes back live (the promotion using the design tab on the regular site). No issues.

One note for other designers - the dev boards for the scenario will show the new version and list the base board as dev and scenarios underneath it as the .1 versions.

Navigating through all the maps was almost assuredly more painful for me than it would be for any other designer on the site, what with all the versions and scenarios (and the bungled retirement of some of my boards several years back), but it was still a workable solution.

7. #7 / 41
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Running into an issue where the cards are not uploading correctly.

The wildcard image does, as do the card names, but the images for cards 1 thru 3 aren't uploading for the board. Strange, as all 4 images are the same size, at 150x150.

8. #8 / 41
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

strange, i was able to upload all 4 card images and rename them. i'll try again tonight and see if he changed something that broke it. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Wed 3rd Feb 17:34 [history]

9. #9 / 41
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I've pretty much tried everything re: the cards and I can't get them to update. It updates fine in the designer, but doesn't show in the games or board explorer here.

btw, added an autocapture factory to the simple board and that's working fine.

10. #10 / 41
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ah, missed that connection (designer vs board). i haven't gotten mine to a point where i could play a test game. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #11 / 41
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hi - I've published a new version of the Designer here which addresses feedback to date:

Board List

1. Doesn't scale with size window, maintains a static 800x600 size - this is now 100% of the window size.

2. Kinda awkward to 'load board' after you've already selected the scenario you're loading - removed that requirement.

3. Needs a couple clicks to make 'all' filter work correctly (off and back on again) - should be fine now.

4. Live & Dev filter doesn't allow 'toggle scenarios' work correctly, have to be in 'all' for it to show all scenarios - I moved Scenario loading into the Scenarios column and removed the Toggle Scenarios button so this won't be an issue any more.

Re: card / board images not updating - this seems fine for me. Thingol can you let me know which board and version you were trying to update so I can test this?

12. #12 / 41
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

New Designer is here. You should be prompted to upgrade your existing version when you click on it:

http://www.wargear.net/files/Designer_v1.1.air

13. #13 / 41
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Re: card / board images not updating - this seems fine for me. Thingol can you let me know which board and version you were trying to update so I can test this?

Yes - my new ThingolHockey  dev board.

WarGear (6) / Boards

Edited Mon 8th Feb 02:26 [history]

14. #14 / 41
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1. seems to work

2-4. WOW, i *really* like the load scenarios option there! maybe do that with "Version" in also? Eg. i have 4 versions, 3 retired, of Circles of Death that all appear sequentially. I don't think we need that cluttering up a long list. 

how do we go about deleting (or retiring/copying/exporting or the other things that were out there for us to do, altho i might need a refresher on what capabilities were and did...)? I've apparently got 6 "Copy of Kenisngton" created in 1969 out there...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

15. #15 / 41
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The new designer removed my Colors tab info which, in a determined setup game is a killer.

16. #16 / 41
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

how do we go about deleting (or retiring/copying/exporting or the other things that were out there for us to do, altho i might need a refresher on what capabilities were and did...)? I've apparently got 6 "Copy of Kenisngton" created in 1969 out there...

That's all done from the 'Designs' page as before by right clicking on the 'Actions' link on the right.

17. #17 / 41
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

Yes - my new ThingolHockey  dev board.

WarGear (6) / Boards

It's working fine for me when I update the board image. Are you on a Mac or PC?

18. #18 / 41
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Lol, I didn’t post the above. Tom, is that you posting under my avatar? If so, the answer is PC. Oooh - I see you were able to get the cards to update. Cool. btw, I had updated the board image several times without seeing the cards update, so that cannot be what triggered it.

Edited Mon 15th Feb 09:55 [history]

19. #19 / 41
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tom, I submitted the board for review, but we're seeing some strange things occur. Mad Bomber's page crashes when he launches the game. For my part, I seem to have no issues, so I'm at a loss. Game link below:

WarGear (3) / Games - Board Review: ThingolHockey 0.1

20. #20 / 41
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

That's all done from the 'Designs' page as before by right clicking on the 'Actions' link on the right.

I don't see that option, is that because I'm a standard member? I have an old board design I want to delete and start a new one from scratch

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)