176 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   «««67891011121314   (14 in total)
  1. #241 / 276
    Standard Member zdisabled_b0c46970
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Hi Silver Fox!  Welcome aboard.   Glad you are checking out wargear.  Feel free to invite me to any games (or really almost anyone in the forums, as the crowd here at wargear is generally pretty good-natured)

>Still looking for my first win.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), the competition here is pretty stiff.  A lot of really good players.

Feel free to invite me, as you will likely end up with your first win ; )

2. #242 / 276
    Premium Member Silver Fox
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thanks Devine, won my first game  - New York map

3. #243 / 276
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Silver Fox wrote:

Thanks Devine, won my first game  - New York map

Congrats

4. #244 / 276
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hi everybody. I'm a new visitor.

Question - does this site have any boards with Ant tunnels?

5. #245 / 276
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

HA! Welcome to the site. It's a good group. People seem to go away for awhile but many come back for a game or two.

6. #246 / 276
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:

Hi everybody. I'm a new visitor.

HOLY SHIT...asm

there's a name i haven't heard from in forever (YEARS)! I had to look twice and dig to make sure I wasn't seeing some bug (like i was on the first page of the thread or something).

welcome back! hopefully more than just a pop-in?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Fri 25th Sep 13:20 [history]

7. #247 / 276
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm actually a bit stunned at some of the old guard making appearances lately (RiskyBack, Hugh, asm, Nygma made an appearance earlier in the year, etc). 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #248 / 276
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thanks for the welcome. Just due for my every-four-years return, maybe. Or maybe like many others just looking for new ways to pass time and find a bit of human interaction in These Unprecedented Times. Fired up a couple of games, looking forward to rolling some dice again. No firm plans to stick around or not, just see which way the wind blows. We'll start by seeing how long the 10-game limit and no stats is tolerable, then how many games I end up in after I pay for premium, and take it from there..

9. #249 / 276
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

then how many games I end up in after I pay for premium, and take it from there..

You know.... You get the best price if you just go ahead and purchase 5 years at once... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

10. #250 / 276
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

then how many games I end up in after I pay for premium, and take it from there..

You know.... You get the best price if you just go ahead and purchase 5 years at once... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Welcome back ASM:   I recently took a sabbatical myself, after my previous membership had expired.  I just came back and I signed up for another 5 years because  1)  I think that Tom's hard work is worth it, and 2) it was the 10 year anniversary of my original joining of this site.        Just sayin'.......  

11. #251 / 276
    Standard Member KillDawg
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Boo!

It's been a while guys, 4 years in fact. As I mentioned to Thingol in a recent game, I legitimately missed you all.

12. #252 / 276
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Welcome back KillDawg! It's been really great seeing more of the old guard/veterans around the site lately :)

Like to play unique boards come join the Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

13. #253 / 276
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I like the trend. I get it - I could only stay away for 6 months.

14. #254 / 276
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Wow. I can't imagine staying away that long. Right now, it's hard enough staying away over the course of a school day.

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall up the stairs,and trip over nothing. I have these skills.

15. #255 / 276
    Standard Member GiraffeBear
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Damn... forums huh? I havent been in one of these for years. {#emotions_dlg.spin}

I didnt get to play risk too much growing up because I always won, so i never was challenged and never learned any cool tactics. I came here thinking i was hot shit but I still havent won a game. Im pretty humbled lol.

I work in doors and windows, I have a degree in philosophy, ask me about my beliefs and you wont get a straight answer. I have become water. Im 22 and burned out from video games, so im here because im tired of being distracted by things that constantly try to get my attention.

16. #256 / 276
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>im here because im tired of being distracted by things that constantly try to get my attention.

I've been thinking about this some lately. 

This smart guy (Herbert A. Simon) said this in 1971 when the internet was just a twinkle in Vint Cerf's eye:

[I]n an information-rich world, the wealth of information means a dearth of something else: a scarcity of whatever it is that information consumes. What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_economy#History

Also, Amusing Ourselves to Death (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death) which I haven't read, but am only familiar with because of the album by Roger Water it inspired.

Anyway, long story short - I should read more books, and spend less time scrolling reddit on my phone.

17. #257 / 276
    Standard Member warpuppy
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hi, all. The last time I spent a lot of time playing online Risk-inspired games was literally on a dialup BBS in the early 90s. It was great fun. I guess that tells you something about me. :-) I've also done some solo play using Lux DLX for iOS. 

What's the best way for a Wargear newb to find their footing? I'd hate to join a game where I ruin someone else's experience by not knowing what I'm doing, especially a team game. Are there any open games where newcomers are particularly welcome?

18. #258 / 276
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hi warpuppy, and welcome to wargear.  Any open game is fine to join.  As you mentioned - stay away from team games until you know what you are doing.  The board list has a "difficulty filter", so you can see what boards are easy/green.  If you want, I could invite you to some boards with some friends and give you an introduction to the site.  If you've already played Wargear Warfare (WGWF), which is the closest to traditional RISK, then I like to suggest Pangaea and Panthalassa (a board I created) as an easy next board.  I created a public game, you are welcome to join:

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/776579

19. #259 / 276
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Welcome warpuppy (I guess you are not a cat) -

Wargear is quite a welcoming place - you can really join any game you want - though using the difficulty filter is a good idea at first - there is little to no chance that you will ruin someone's experience - just about anyone that has been a member here for awhile (especially us forum dwellers) will help you out.

20. #260 / 276
    Standard Member Abraham the Mage
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

I'm a game nut. I'm also insanely competitive. That being said, I do most things way to fast for my own good, which can manifest itself detrimentally in my gaming abilities among other things. Premature apology if that messes you up in any way. I was introduced to the site through a google doc of online board games which was put out during the lockdown.

I also love to read, primarily fantasy, but I'll read just about anything I can get my hands on (though I'm not a big fan of historical fiction or nonfiction, and romance). I'm open to talking about good books/authors/series, and suggestions are welcome.

I find accapella music and barbershop quartets very nice, and Queen always hits the spot.

Sports-wise, I love baseball, hockey, basketball, and football (in that order), both playing and following. The Rangers (New York), Yankees, Jets, and Knicks are the teams that have earned my allegiance, mostly due to the fact that I was born a New Yorker, though I moved not long after.

I love to write, and am currently working on two fantasy novels at the same time. I'm willing to chat about what gets put into that (effort, ideas, etc).

I answer to DeVine (as some of you might know) and Abraham the mage (obviously), although my family has dubbed me The Glorious Nerd. That nickname started after I announced one night that I wished to start playing D&D. and the fact that I developed a version of baseball and football that involve rolling dice. Lots of them. And, I play Risk. Lots of that, too.

Edited Thu 21st Apr 17:26 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   «««67891011121314   (14 in total)