0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123456789»»»   (14 in total)
  1. #41 / 276
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Eh... why not?

I'm a 30 year old IT Director living in Reno. I have a BS in CS from the University of Nevada, as well as two sons and an extremely significant other. I'm moderately politically active - I'm the Secretary for the Libertarian Party of Nevada, among other things - but I do what I can to avoid slapping people in the face with it.

When I'm not messing around with politics, work, and online strategy games, I read the occasional alt-history novel, watch the occasional anime, and partake in as much sci-fi as I can possibly get my hands on. I also enjoy hiking in the wide open desert and ghost town hunting. They may not move much, but, man, they're tricky!

asm wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

2. #42 / 276
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I love your sig. It gives me a chuckle every time. I also love Reno. Extremely underrated city.

...and is a douchebag

3. #43 / 276
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

You and I could definitely get along, Oat.

In your Face!

4. #44 / 276
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Asm - Yeah, I like it up here. Moved here to go to school (UNR is *cheap*) and just kind of stayed. The economy is a little more miserable here than the rest of the country at the moment (Nevada's unemployment rate is the highest in the nation), but I have a job, a boss that likes me, and the company I'm working for is turning a profit, so I'm not too worried at the moment.

Cram - Glad to hear it!

asm wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

5. #45 / 276
    Standard Member Gimli
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

43 replies and 750 views... we have a lot of shy people here! There seem to be a lot of smarty pants with multiple degrees here, so I hope no one feels intimidated.

Anyhow, hi all. My *name* is Gimli, here and on the ToS. I still play both, mostly because I have a BAO addiction. Anticipating an opponent's move and countering it before it happens is a lot of fun!

I'm not really into the rankings races. I did make top 25 on warfish by sheer # of games played, by accident. Of 1546 games played there, only 307 were ranked games. Here of my 10 games, 3 are development and 4 are tourneys. But somehow I am still ranked #35... Dwarven efficiency for ya! Since I don't make boards, I like contributing as a map tester.

In RL, I work with troubled teens getting them independence skills to live on their own, as for whatever reason, they aren't with family. I enjoy boards and video games that can get my imagination going... fighting games like MK, Street Fighter with skeleton (or less) plots for a story are not engaging. Bioware games is where it's at! My beagle Sherlock is probably the best part of my daily life!

I know Cumber in RL, and got to meet Risky! Everything he posted is true! Was awesome to travel 1000s of KM just to meet him! Hahaha, sounds like a stalker. Actually I was visiting the person who got me going on ToS, but anyhow...

6. #46 / 276
    Standard Member CiscoKid
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Husband to one wife, and father of four kids.  Classically trained Astronomer, left MS/PhD on chairman's desk to come to Silicon Valley.  Self taught programmer and uber geek , who write operating systems.  Played Rugby (hooker/prop), East Coast Beach lifeguard (Wind Jammer, IOP), own and drive fast cars (current 29yo Porsche approaches 180+).  Cue ball like the kid in the avatar, with the same expression when I see my wife!

Oh, yeah in my early 40's and still going up hill hard and fast!

Edited Sat 17th Jul 15:18 [history]

7. #47 / 276
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

trained musician/composer – many instruments – many genres; self-diagnosed ADHD; latent in life teacher (gr. 4-8); back to school at 40 for undergraduate degree – masters @ 50 in a few months is all goes to plan; still married to my “first wife” after 25 years with no end in sight; no kids; down to one dog; oenophile try-to-be; Wargearaholic.

..but we won't be completely happy until there is a "barren" designer feature.

8. #48 / 276
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Do you prefer wood or brass M57?

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

9. #49 / 276
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I am not a horn player per se, but I have dabbled with the woodwinds - flute, clarinet, and sax. I'm what most would consider a classically trained vocalist but I have a pretty extensive background and training as a classical/folk/electric guitarist - a lot of experience playing out as a piano/synth jazz keyboardist.

then there are the side-orders.. Viola (just enough to stay on top of a middle-school string section), recorder, drums, bass, djembe.. Lots of different genres depending on the instrument - Oh, and a I'm a composer.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

10. #50 / 276
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Composing is fun but I have not actually tried it outside of a classroom setting. I'm a woodwind player myself, and never actually dabbled into anything besides actually playing.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

11. #51 / 276
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i play a mean air guitar and am not too bad with the air drums.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

12. #52 / 276
    Standard Member Wingless
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hey guys,

I am a newbie here. I love strategy games and i want to get better. How and where can i find anything connected to risk's game theory?

13. #53 / 276
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Googling for stuff like that can be hard because there are so many business terms out there that use the word 'risk' so it can be hard to dig through all that junk and find the really important stuff.

That being said, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=risk+strategy+guide should provide some useful links, and I found that http://www.totaldiplomacy.com/RiskStrategyGuides/tabid/68/Default.aspx has some potentially useful tips for beginners.

Aside from all that, though, the best thing to do is probably review histories from my games and try your best to emulate what I do. Good luck!

...and is a douchebag

14. #54 / 276
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:
      and try your best to emulate what I do. Good luck!

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

15. #55 / 276
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

You'll quickly learn that while asm is the top player on the site, he is probably the last person you want to emulate. :P

16. #56 / 276
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You guys are just jealous.

...and is a douchebag

17. #57 / 276
    Brigadier General Dud Dud is offline now
    Premium Member Dud
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Wow, I can't keep up.....
    I joined this site last fall and it's my first attempt at any type of online gaming. The only CODE I know happens in the E.R., of which I am close to as I am (so far) the oldest of this group (yes Raptor, feel your youth....). It has been a blast to pick back up a game I hadn't played in....Well, let's just say longer than most of you have been alive.
    Athletic? I've had my day in the sunlight and enjoy a little reminiscing about the glory days every once in a while, BUT.....I have 4 kids with my eldest being a junior in college. AND the 5th is on the way (Stop judging me, stop judging me!). But I still keep in good shape as I used to own some gyms and working out is in my DNA. (I know a trick about arm wrestling that is sure to be a party favorite for anyone...)
    The reason I can play so many games is because I am a day-trader (I also like to be called a full time dad, between trades....) and happen to be in front of a computer a little too often.

I am humbled by the wit of this crowd on a daily basis. It is incredible that I get to converse with people from all over the world......I stay truly appreciative of this site. I don't contribute to design as I keep quite busy with kids, wife/dog beatings, golf, gambling, drinking, lifting, and playing this game. (Did I mention the wife beatings?).

At the end of the day I can't believe I am the old guy in the room as I was always the youngest......Guess shit happens.

It's a pleasure,

Dud

18. #58 / 276
    Brigadier General Dud Dud is offline now
    Premium Member Dud
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Oh ya, the pic in my profile.....Not me. (Well, it, could be?)

Lastly, I know Reno well and my FAV drive in the world is from Reno to Bishop on hwy 395....

I now reside out of St. Louis

19. #59 / 276
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

you beating her or her beating you? i assumed the latter...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

20. #60 / 276
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: you beating her or her beating you? i assumed the latter...

Actually, it sounded to me like the dog beats the wife.

In your Face!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456789»»»   (14 in total)