207 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   «««2345678910»»»   (14 in total)
  1. #101 / 276
    Standard Member Gimli
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

not sure if you were making lighting games, but big ones will scare people off. What if they join but it doesn't fill for 3 hours? They might not be able to play then. Once you get to know more players, and who likes that map, you might be able to invite people over the very handy chat feature!

Beheadings are free for all Elves!

2. #102 / 276
    Standard Member Lancecor
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Found out that AdamN likes Fall Of Rome. I'm already getting used to this place, I'm dominating in my Classic War Game, and I haven't been beaten up barely at all in my Fall Of Rome game.

3. #103 / 276
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I wasn't active on the forums when this first came out, so sorry about dredging up an old post, but I'm quite amused reading all these descriptions now that I've interacted with some of you guys more regularly.

If you'd asked me before I read this thread: I'd have predicted that everyone on this site would have had a very similar background:  college to post-college aged, fond of nerdy hobbies like RPG, and computers, probably somewhat socially awkward in real life, well educated and bookish, but also intellectually witty.   But to my surprise, though many of those characteristics do apply, I find myself quite amused at how unique everyone really is.

Where else would a a middle aged teacher/musician/composer regularly toss friendly insults back and forth with a 22 year old studying Telecommunications and a 50+ year old former gym owner.

4. #104 / 276
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Where else would a middle aged teacher/musician/composer regularly toss friendly insults back and forth with a 22 year old studying Telecommunications and a 50+ year old former gym owner.

Church...?

5. #105 / 276
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

"Our Lady of the Insult and Dice Throwers"

Sign me up.

..Do they have coffee hour?

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

6. #106 / 276
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

"Our Lady of Victory"
    "ROLL FOR US!!"

7. #107 / 276
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Thank you Boris for "drudging" up this thread... It is so true.

8. #108 / 276
    Standard Member Lucasj
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Well, I'm Lucasj. I have a masters degree in being awesome, but that's about it. I'm a 17 year old kid who loves all sports (especially soccer) and snow skiing. I plan on continuing my education with a masters/doctrinal degree in pharmaceutical engineering. Just a normal teenager. Loves risk. I love the community here. Almost everyone is so friendly and helpful.  

Edited Thu 6th Oct 00:32 [history]

9. #109 / 276
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Sidebar:  Adam - Did I spell it wrong?  I assumed it was always "dredging."  Like what one does to clean a river or lake bed.

10. #110 / 276
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

Sidebar:  Adam - Did I spell it wrong?  I assumed it was always "dredging."  Like what one does to clean a river or lake bed.

It's dredging.  Drudge/drudging is different, although I think we can all agree that neither of these ugly-sounding words sounds fun.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

11. #111 / 276
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome here

45, Engineering Manager, BS, MS, MS, T-shirt airbrushing, wife, 2 kids, Philly

philosophy, history, memory, green energy, neural plasiticity, numbers, probability, statistics

gym, tennis, yoga, darts

sci-fi, fantasy, zelazny, poe, tolkien, self-help, libraries

whiskey, poker, blackjack, RPG, football

organize, laugh, know yourself, improve yourself, accept yourself

Username was automatically generated by a website - seemed interesting so I went with it

12. #112 / 276
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was around for the first round of this, but I don't think I was hanging out on the forums much yet, so I'm glad we're doing round 2 of the introductions.   It's a bit sad to see all the old guard in the beginning of this thread that doesn't come around much anymore.

As for my self - Mid 30s, married w/a 2yo daughter.   Wife also plays a lot of wargear, but doesn't post much.  I used the online handle 'Ozymandias' (from the poem), way back when I first started getting online.  In those days there were several orders of magnitude less people online, and 'Ozymandias' was rare enough, but a few years back I realized everywhere I tried to sign up this name was taken, so I started using 'Ozyman' instead (easier to spell too).

BS in CompEng & MS in CompSci.  I work as a Software Engineer in something like a national lab helping scientists with PhDs turn their visions into reality. 

Interests - music (last few concerts - primus, gogol bordello, Secret Chiefs 3, Devotchka), swimming, photography, ai, technology in general

Favorite video game ever was probably TRIBES.  Anyone else played this?

13. #113 / 276
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

So here's mine:

My brother introduced me, and probably a dozen other friends, to ToS about 3 years ago, and we played, almost exclusively, private games against each other.
    When I heard about this place, I took one look, and have moved the whole group here, and since then I've really enjoyed finding new people to play with.

31, married for about a year now.
    Graduated from UIUC with a cognitive psych degree, but have always been a computer person.
    Post college, worked for 4 years managing my favorite bar to avoid "real life," and it was the second best decision of my life.

Then moved back to the western suburbs of Chicago, and started working again at the same company I'd worked while in high school:  a very small computer contracting firm that puts control systems in industrial mills.
    (If you're a good developer (.NET, database, AB PLCs, or web), and have a strong work ethic, let me know and we're always looking for good employees)

On the off hours, I am a die hard Cubs fan (I LOVE May, and I HATE October), have an unhealthy addiction to live music (in the area of about 300 concerts, give or take, over the last 15 years), am an avid gym goer and pseudo-competitive waterskier, and have recently picked up rock climbing during the off season.

And I love getting invited to games by new people, and on boards I've never played before.

14. #114 / 276
    Premium Member Livia
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Mid 30's, married (in a relationship with husband for 16.5 years now) w/a 2.5yo daughter.

BS in Accounting and 2nd BS in CompSci.  I worked as a loan officer at a bank for a while, but working so much got old so I went back to school for a different degree.  Now, I am a Software Engineer and work with scientists writing code to apply their research.  

"Livia" was the wife of the great Roman Emperor Augustus.  I learned a lot of Italian history and a bit of the language before I went to Italy in 2007.  It was my favorite vacation ever and I can't wait to go again soon.

Interests: swimming, photography, buddhism, LOTR, reading, politics, music

I used to play on ToS, but... Btw, shout out to Tom for being so responsive, listening to the WG community, and adding features.

15. #115 / 276
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

Sorry the quotes weren't suggesting you misspelled, I was using scare quotes as my wife would say to point out I didn't think what you did was a bad thing... The misspelling is all mine. At least I'm not a teacher.... wait.... well at least I don't teach English.

Still mid 30s with a wonderful, you aren't still playing that wargear game are you, wife and now 2 kids 2 and 1/2 boy and a 6 month girl. I have the worlds best job... I work at a school running their theatre facility and working and training kids to do all the technical elements of putting on shows. Teach engineering classes like Robotics, Bridge Design, Rube Goldberg machines, and my newest course Minecraft, and the like. At night I still work in the tv commercial and movie shooting business as a code enforcement officer. (I keep the local inspectors happy.) My previous careers include Elecitrical Contractor, Broadway show touring Master Electrician, Trade law teacher, and union theatre stagehand.

Edited Fri 7th Oct 11:50 [history]

16. #116 / 276
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

AdamN wrote:Teach engineering classes like Robotics, Bridge Design, Rube Goldberg machines, and my newest course Minecraft, and the like.

How insanely jealous am I?  I am one of the legions still trying to convince teenagers they should learn algebra et. al. 

17. #117 / 276
    Standard Member Knosken
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

The man, the myth, the legend, Knosken here. I am 62 years old, my great interest are tractors, risk 

Edited Fri 25th Nov 14:23 [history]

18. #118 / 276
    Standard Member Knosken
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Am I not allowed to introduce myself?

19. #119 / 276
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Knosken wrote:

Am I not allowed to introduce myself?

You are welcome to introduce yourself as long as you remember that it is a family site. I would love to hear who you are and what you do when not wasting way too much time on here like the rest of us.

20. #120 / 276
    Thread Slayer Severene
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Severene here. Got my user name from the vampire off of Near Dark played by Bill Paxton.  BTW Bill Paxton is the only actor to ever be killed by terminator, alien, and predator.

Im 41 yrs old.  Been married 20 years, I have 3 children (boy 16, girl 14, girl 11) and 1 grandchild (1mo girl).  Was in the USAF from 92-96. BS in Industrial Technology. I always wanted to be a game designer. ADD really prevents me from learning programming extensively - just cant concentrate. I came over from Warfish which I really liked because I actually made money off of it and could justify wasting time there to my wife by that fact.  I like Cream Soda. I live in Texas.  My wife joined the Army 8 years ago and we moved around a lot: San Antonio, Puyallup, and Maryland.  I worked in DC at the Senate with The Nile King for the 3 years we were there.  She got out a few years ago and is 80% disabled.  We moved back to Texas because I am expecting the collapse of our society due to the debt crisis.  I am currently raising goats and chickens and trying to learn how to garden.  Oh when I was in the AF I lived in North Dakota and New Mexico.  Its very cold in North Dakota.  Although its very hot in Texas I would rather live here because of our lax gun laws.  I work on computers for a living and do networks and stuff.  I recently got a new job in the Dallas area working for a place that makes wickless candles that smell really good.

I think thats about it.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   «««2345678910»»»   (14 in total)