180 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 17
    Standard Member Angusjustice
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I am starting to believe that the winner of the 2011 risk tournament will have nothing to do with playing well it has to do with being lucky. When a player loses 10 vs 3 & 8 vs 3 in the first 2 turns what chance do they have. Why play the game out when the outcome is obvious. What is the sense in having championships if it has nothing to do with how good you are but on the dice. Why not just split the deck high card wins it would be just like this tournament where there is no skill needed. Even if I was to win the tournament it would be a shallow victory. Cheers.

2. #2 / 17
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Sounds like the person would then have to adjust their strategy.  Perhaps it wasn't luck but rather just really healthy and good fighters!

Here's the dice are dumb thread: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1286/disproportionate_rolls

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

3. #3 / 17
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The Germans should get a redo because the winter in Russia killed so many of them!  That had nothing to do with strategy on the Stalin's part..........it's just not fair!

The Persians had thousands of troops killed by only 300 Spartans.......their dice must have sucked!

The Spanish had the most powerful Navy in the World yet the British beat them......I call cheaters!

The British were the strongest Empire in the World yet a bunch of back woods "Americans" beat them?  Holy Frak!  I'm gonna start eating only bland food with tomatoes to protest this unjustness!

The Dice don't hate you

The Dice don't know you

They don't care who wins or losses

That's just how they roll

Where's asm????

4. #4 / 17
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

P.S.  I'm really sick of dice complaining.  It happens to all of us.  You are not being singled out.  Luck is a factor in this game.

DEAL WITH IT!

Where's asm????

5. #5 / 17
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

We need luck stats so we can displace the blame just a little less arbitrarily.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

6. #6 / 17
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Dude, dice happen.  I have terrible luck.  I get terrible dice rolls a large portion of the time.  It happens.  It's not just you.

+1 for luck stats.

7. #7 / 17
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hey I never said it was just me all I said was it was BS this site may be getting 25 new players a day but after months of BS dice how many stay there is something wrong with the dice engine on this site because it happens way to much I never had these issues with the other risk sites why is that?

8. #8 / 17
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I played 3 games today it happened in every game and in one game twice that is not random it is BS

9. #9 / 17
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

For every roll of a dice that you and the defender roll compare it with this: http://www.random.org/

Let that go a week and then compare, let's see how well WG's RNG does.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

10. #10 / 17
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Maybe I notice it more because all I play is RT games but I see no sense in playing a turn based game just to have the game pulled out from you with some really bad dice there has to be a better way. I truly like this site and believe it is unique. I am just voicing my concerns and in no way mean to step on any ones toes I know it takes a lot of work to operate a gaming site like this. Just a really bad day on War gear for me. Thanks for the tip Yertle Cheers.

11. #11 / 17
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I took about 25 turns today (maybe more) and had all sorts of results.  I went 5v5 to a building from the road in Salem's Dusk and took it without losing any and that is with a defense modifier, I used 10 units and took 7 territories filled with 1's, I went 42v13 and ended up with 12 left, I went 6v3 to start a game and ended up only taking 1 unit from them and I did HUGE damage with 9 in a Resident Wargear game but have no idea if they were vacant or not because I don't usually play attention when I am mindlessly attacking.

That's just stuff I can remember from today and most days are like that.  If I play more games of Infection or Mario World, I'll lose more because those maps have a personal vendetta against me, but if I play more Castles and Asheron's Gear, I'll have good days because those maps love them some RiskyBack!  The point is that the dice are part of the game and pretty much wholly and completely part of the game.  There is probably a reason why Generals don't put Risk stats on their resumes.  I've tossed over many a game board at a table because the dice sucked and I've also been accused of cheating because my D&D character got an 18 Dexterity (I did cheat there).

Anyways, Dice Happen, that's just how they roll, and any other number of other sayings I can cheapen by making them about Wargear.

P.S.  Maps neither love nor hate you, they don't know who you are.  They are like the Weather Girl, don't take her restraining order personal, she's not scared of me, she's scared of what I may represent because crayon is just not a good medium for sending love letters.

Where's asm????

12. #12 / 17
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Then I need to play RT games with a different map so when these things happen is doesn't can the whole game, but it is difficult to get RT games going on a big map, You just end up with a bunch of "Boots" Maybe my quest to have RT games that don't take up a half day on War Gear is useless. any help here would be appreciated. Cheers!

13. #13 / 17
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Angusjustice wrote:

Then I need to play RT games with a different map so when these things happen is doesn't can the whole game, but it is difficult to get RT games going on a big map, You just end up with a bunch of "Boots" Maybe my quest to have RT games that don't take up a half day on War Gear is useless. any help here would be appreciated. Cheers!

AJ, I have been working on a solution.  Last summer I came up with a way to play regular WarGear boards in a manner that resembles SimulGear play (I.e., players submit their moves simultaneously, but use standard Risk-dice, dice modifiers, etc.).

The workings of the M-Engine are complicated because all dice sets are thrown simultaneously, but actual play (placement of orders) is normal.  

Originally, I was thinking of it as an alternative to SimulGear, but because the M-E design is robust and flexible, more recently I've been focusing on it as a potential solution to the lightning game problem.

Included in the first link above are links to test games.. Test Game 2 went on for quite a few rounds before I had to put it on hold because the school year started.  It's the one to check out if you want to see M-E in action.

In an effort to emulate RT play, essentially I see the M-E breaking up what we would normally consider a "turn" into smaller pieces, which you might think would make the game longer, but in fact I see these "micro-turns" lasting just a minute or two, and more importantly, all players place their orders simultaneously, so players should spend very little time waiting around for their turns. 

The M-Engine is very flexible. There are many ways it can be formatted for play.  I think the goal is to create a version that permits 4-5 people to play a game on a standard world map in less than 2 hours.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Wed 12th Jan 19:42 [history]

14. #14 / 17
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Risky! I knew I liked you.. I have AD&D 1st editions sitting in a box by my desk!

15. #15 / 17
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Funny you should mention that M57 I was just reading about it today on the web it kind of resembles the risk game for the computer when it's in it's simultaneous mode. I did not get to read it all but I liked what I did read. Thanks for the link to the test games I somehow missed that the first time around. Cheers!

16. #16 / 17
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Oh yeah Viper don't we all have AD&D still laying around I know I still have all my books and modules. Cheers!

17. #17 / 17
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Angusjustice wrote:

Oh yeah Viper don't we all have AD&D still laying around I know I still have all my books and modules. Cheers!

*Sigh* 900 sq ft and two kids and my D&D books have long since been recycled. *sigh*

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)