174 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 7
    Standard Member Bad Wolf
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Since I started playing on here, I've been thinking about how great it would be to start a new time limit for the turns.

My idea is for either a 12 hour turn limit or a 1 day turn limit...  its speedier than the 2 day but not as demanding as the 10 minute timer.

I know there's alot of players that go within 10 hours, some withing 1 hour.

Just an idea.  What do you guys think?

2. #2 / 7
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Been there, done that. 12 hour timers get problematic if you sleep and don't log into Wargear right away. 1 day timers, meanwhile, pretty much abandon the concept of weekends. The cool part about the 3 day timer is that, if you decide to actually spend a little time with your family, you're not getting punished for it, nor are you having to burn vacation time for it. On the other hand, if you can take your turn faster, there's nothing stopping you from doing so.

asm and RiskyBack wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

3. #3 / 7
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

The "Average Turn Time" statistic is quite misleading.  I suspect for many people, such as myself, we take many of our turns fairly quickly - within minutes (while at work, or at night).  But then there times where we let it go for a day or two (because we are home or away for the weekend).

Having a turn timer of 12 hours would require you to log in every 12 hours to avoid a skip, and people are not interested in that type of commitment.   Ditto with 1 day. 

Edited Wed 16th Feb 19:33 [history]

4. #4 / 7
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The 12 turn timer was nixed well over a year ago.  There are many more people that play more games now.  I for one check in twice a day -  once before work and once after.

I would love to see a 12 hour timer.. Heck, I'd love to se a 24 hour timer.

There are just enough people on this site who actually take advantage of the 2-day timer consistently that playing in a 2-day timer game takes weeks longer than it would if they weren't playing.

That said, the 2-day timer doesn't bother me that much because I simply play in enough games such that I have about 5-10 moves to make every 12 hours. 

I'm much more interested in a semi-realtime solution that makes a game last about an hour or so.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

5. #5 / 7
    Standard Member Bad Wolf
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Well all of you are forgetting that its NOT an obligation to join a 1 day turn limit or a 12 hour turn limit game.. I CHOOSE to not join 7 day turn limit games and tend to avoid 3 day turn limit games.

The new turn timer OPTIONS, wouldnt require players to make a change in life style.

Quite simply, those who wish to be in games of 12 hour or 1 day turn limits can do so.  Otherwise those folks who like many said, like to spend time way from the computer are more than welcome to join 2-3 day turn limit games.

Like I said, just an idea for a new feature.  One that I'm sure many would agree would be a great addition for those who are more active.  People with internet phones or who work in offices or are near computers all the time like me and the other 85 percent of the population would likely enjoy a more fast paced wargear experience.

*Note: the margin of error for the 85 percent statistic is plus or minus 85 percent and is based on absolutely nothing*

6. #6 / 7
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

More options aren't necessarily always a good thing.  Two easily seen adverse affects would be through splitting player bases and adding in more Boots.  If there is a 12/24 hour limit then you (Bad Wolf as an example) may join/create those 12/24 hour games, which means you are probably going to play fewer 2/3 day games, thus spreading the player base more thinly.  Due to demand, the most recent change was to go from 2/5 day timer to 2/3/7 day limit, so increasing the turn timer.  Then of course with 12/24 hour timer I think you get an increase in Boots, which is pretty much always a negative thing.  12/24 hour timers do sound good (probably especially to new players which are the most common to be Booted already), but as has been somewhat tested, they just don't work all that well.

So yes, no one is forced into 12/24 hour games, but it does affect all games overall IMO, and at this time, I would say the negatives outweigh the positives.

I consider myself pretty active, but 12 is too clunky and while 24 has more possible potential, I personally probably would stay away from it.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

7. #7 / 7
    Standard Member Bad Wolf
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thats better input yertle.

I see your point and in retrospect think that a 12 hour limit would be too little.

However, the 24 hour turn limit would not cause booting if those joining know that they're joining a 1 day turn game.  It is advertised, and if people are exhausting the 2 day turn limit already as it is so many times that they get booted then they just leave the other players waiting for their inevitable boot.  So if anything I think the 1 day turns would filter out those players that annoy the more active players who want a more fast paced game. 

We cant focus on the amount of players, we should focus on the quality of players.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)