203 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 40
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'd like to see the possibility for a map maker to set the elimination bonus in cards.   In games with an increasing card scale, a fixed unit elimination bonus can be both too high in the early game, and inconsequentially low in the later game.  Cards scale better with the # of units in play, so I think giving the player cards as an elimination bonus would work better for some maps.

2. #2 / 40
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Good idea.  Perhaps to even be able to make it a percentage of the current card cashing value.  For instance anywhere from 10 to 200%

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 40
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I actually meant the player would get N cards for eliminating an enemy, but having it be a # of units equal to a % of a card set works for me too.

4. #4 / 40
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

you kind of already have that with Card Capture and this can be a very good AND a very bad thing on a lot of maps and lead to cascade eliminations which some people really don't like.

5. #5 / 40
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, this is more of a guaranteed # of cards though.  If it is foggy, you have no idea if it is worth taking someone out, because they might have 5 cards, or they might have 0.  With this idea you could turn off card capture, and set the elimination bonus to 2 cards (for example).  Just a bit more flexibility for the map maker.

6. #6 / 40
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

OK - added to feature request list.

7. #7 / 40
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Yeah, this is more of a guaranteed # of cards though.  If it is foggy, you have no idea if it is worth taking someone out, because they might have 5 cards, or they might have 0.  With this idea you could turn off card capture, and set the elimination bonus to 2 cards (for example).  Just a bit more flexibility for the map maker.

So you mean something like a minimum guaranteed number of cards upon capture? (Like 2 or 3?)

BAO alternative:

8. #8 / 40
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Being able to set a minimum guaranteed # of cards on capture, would be ok with me also, but really I meant this would be separate from any cards captured from eliminating an opponent.  I'm not sure if there is a strong argument to doing it one way or the other.

9. #9 / 40
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I like your straight up suggestion better Ozy.  It's basically an increasing elimination bonus, which I think would help a number of boards.  Cards captured are then extra nice as always.

10. #10 / 40
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Is it possible to play a game with no cards and start player with cards?  So your elimination bonus is a set number of cards, and you only get a turn in once you've eliminated a player?  

Also, if we're doing elimination bonuses granting extra things, how about attacks?

11. #11 / 40
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

Is it possible to play a game with no cards and start player with cards?  So your elimination bonus is a set number of cards, and you only get a turn in once you've eliminated a player?  

This doesn't sound too different from having no cards and a straight elimination bonus.  I suppose in a game with 7 or 8+ players the bonus could grow a bit, but..

BAO alternative:

12. #12 / 40
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

You can hold on to it...

13. #13 / 40
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

Is it possible to play a game with no cards and start player with cards? 

Sounds like it should be doable.  Starting cards are given outside of the "deck", so I would think that would work, could be cool...

Thinking without thinking...you could almost set up an Assassin-like gameplay with this I bet.

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

14. #14 / 40
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Edward Nygma wrote:

Is it possible to play a game with no cards and start player with cards? 

Sounds like it should be doable.  Starting cards are given outside of the "deck", so I would think that would work, could be cool...

Thinking without thinking...you could almost set up an Assassin-like gameplay with this I bet.

as in, you get Card X you go for this capital; you get Card Y, you go for that capital?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

15. #15 / 40
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

I just tried this with our current set-up:

I gave each player AA (easy enough), left cards "on", and made the deck 0, 0, 0, 0.

But when I took a territory I still got a wild card.  Tom must have it set that if there is nothing to give you get a wild.

16. #16 / 40
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    Edward Nygma wrote:

I just tried this with our current set-up:

I gave each player AA (easy enough), left cards "on", and made the deck 0, 0, 0, 0.

But when I took a territory I still got a wild card.  Tom must have it set that if there is nothing to give you get a wild.

That's different than what EN said (or at least my interpretation).  What if you set Cards to Off but gave everyone Starting Cards (on the Colors tab).

Still trying to think if the Assassin-like thing would work.

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

17. #17 / 40
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

...What if you set Cards to Off but gave everyone Starting Cards (on the Colors tab).

Still trying to think if the Assassin-like thing would work.

If that setup works, are you limited to giving just the 4 (ABCW) cards?

if so, then i think you could make a 4player Assassin game out of it!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Thu 31st Mar 12:08 [history]

18. #18 / 40
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

...What if you set Cards to Off but gave everyone Starting Cards (on the Colors tab).

Then they have two cards and can never use them.  Off is off it appears.  (At least when I just tested it.)

19. #19 / 40
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I like these ideas. To expand on what Amidon said - it is essentially an increasing elimination bonus. So, a similar idea would be to have the elimination bonus increase every x turns or increase in tune with the cards, or be a straight % of the number of armies on the board. The whole attempt is to have the bonus related to armies on the board, so % of armies relates it very directly! I've always liked that elimination bonuses are independent of the cards. 

I thought of a more twisted idea the other day: Have the elimination bonus be the number of armies of the person you eliminated  (or a multiple of this #), the number being taken from the beginning of your turn. It would reward big kills and not reward being the lucky person who gets to kill the weak guy at the right time. 

(I'm not too attached to these ideas - they all complicate the options, but I thought I'd throw them out there while we're on the topic...)

20. #20 / 40
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    weathertop wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

Then they have two cards and can never use them.  Off is off it appears.  (At least when I just tested it.)

If they have cards A, B but eliminate a player that has B,C (and capture) then they could turn them in...well theoretically they could...my guess is that this scenario may not actually be supported.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)