175 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 39
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yep - everyone that wants their scenario considered needs to submit by the end of June 10th (THIS FRIDAY!).  I submitted my board yesterday & we are currently playing a review game on it.

I think I suggested before that once the maps are reviewed & images & xml sent to you & you create the final Pangaea Map w/all the scenarios & it goes live... then we make an announcement in the general forum, start a bunch of public games & promote the contest in the game comments.  We give one month for people to get a chance to play at least one game on all the scenarios, and then we call a vote.  Everyone who has played on every scenario gets to vote.

Still need to decide exactly how the voting will be held.  I think I remember 3 scenarios proposed:

• Instant Run Off : just like the voting on map theme.
    • Cross Country style : rank all the scenarios  - 1st place is 1 point, etc.  Total the points & scenario with the least points wins.
    • Top 3 : Rank the top three scenarios.  1st place gets 3 points, 2nd 2 points, 3rd 1 point.  Scenario with the most points  wins.

Personally I like the last system the best, because I would like to be able to vote without having to decide where my scenario fits into things, and the other two systems require a voter to rank every scenario.  But I would like to hear other opinions and see if there is a consensus on which voting system to use.

2. #22 / 39
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Do you have to play all of the boards to be eligible to vote?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #23 / 39
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yes - I think that is only fair.  Although I'm not sure how to really enforce that, and we will mostly have to take people on their honor (although we could spot check someone if we think they are suspicious).

4. #24 / 39
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Suggestion for the base board that we will use.  Maybe the primary scenario can be comprised of an image that explains the contest and each board can be a scenario behind that.

Sometimes you have to bathe the cat

5. #25 / 39
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Raptor wrote:

Suggestion for the base board that we will use.  Maybe the primary scenario can be comprised of an image that explains the contest and each board can be a scenario behind that.

So for the initial Live version there would just be a "dummy" contest explanation board and all the Scenarios attached.  Then at the completion have a new Version of the board with the winner as the base board (possibly modified), but set as 1/Default in the Scenarios?

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

He has risen!

6. #26 / 39
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Raptor wrote:

So for the initial Live version there would just be a "dummy" contest explanation board and all the Scenarios attached.  Then at the completion have a new Version of the board with the winner as the base board (possibly modified), but set as 1/Default in the Scenarios?

I would say that even after the contest is won leaving the dummy page in place would not be bad.  It would be updated to reflect the results and explain the concept.  Each of the top three scenarios could be updated visually with an image of a ribbon in the corner.  I would be happy to throw the dummy page together if you want.

Edited Wed 8th Jun 14:27 [history]

7. #27 / 39
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/2404

Quick concept.  Give me your thoughts or tell me to stop.  :)

8. #28 / 39
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Raptor wrote:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/2404

Quick concept.  Give me your thoughts or tell me to stop.  :)

with a background image of pangea (on the paper, behind the text)...

as to voting, i say you rank them all (cross country style) - there's only 3 or 4 aren't there?
    also, do i really have to play a simulgear game in order to vote? saynosaynosayno...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

9. #29 / 39
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Against my better judgement, I just joined a SG game in the interest of being an active member of the community by participating in the map throw-down.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that SG boards may have a disadvantage where voting is concerned (depending on how the system works).  I will do my best to be fair and impartial, but I have to admit that SG is not my cup of tea.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

10. #30 / 39
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Raptor - I like where you are headed.  I think for the final release, we need to make sure the thumbnail looks like Pangaea - maybe just grab the image from wikipedia.  Alternatively, if we plan on having more of these contests, maybe an image like you have made would be best.  Then all the contest boards would have a very similar looking thumbnail & would be recognizable as a group.

WT - I'm not sure how many board we will end up with.  I think I've seen 4 go by, but have heard claims from other designers, so we shall see.  If I have to include my own board in my voting, I'll try to be fair, but I'm not going to put it last just to be magnanimous.

M57 - I have to think that if you made an SG board you will probably not have much chance to win.  Kind of sucks to force people to play an SG board just to vote if they are not familiar with SG, but I don't see any other fair way to do it.

11. #31 / 39
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:  I think I've seen 4 go by, but have heard claims from other designers, so we shall see.

There are 5 in Review stage right now.  Then I have 1 and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of surprise pop-ups tomorrow (I'll actually be surprised if there aren't any we haven't seen).

He has risen!

12. #32 / 39
    Soot and Poo Cumberdale
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Against my better judgement, I just joined a SG game in the interest of being an active member of the community by participating in the map throw-down.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that SG boards may have a disadvantage where voting is concerned (depending on how the system works).  I will do my best to be fair and impartial, but I have to admit that SG is not my cup of tea.

On the other hand, it might also be my chance to win you over.  :)

13. #33 / 39
    Soot and Poo Cumberdale
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Kind of sucks to force people to play an SG board just to vote if they are not familiar with SG, but I don't see any other fair way to do it.

Hopefully, being forced to play a single simulgear game won't leave any lasting psychological damage, but the game actually includes a pretty easy escape clause if anyone would like to forfeit early. 

14. #34 / 39
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You know what's giving me lasting psychological damage?  Your avatar! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

But seriously, I don't mind the SG.  I've only played a few games, so I'm not sure how good of a judge I'll be of it, but from what I saw of your map it looked cool.  In reading your description it says 'Simulgear Version'.   Does that mean there is also a non-simulgear version?

Which brings up another point.  What if someone has 2+ scenarios that they have developed for their Pangaea board?  Do they have to pick one to be their official submission.  Or do voters just have to play at least one of the scenarios & then we vote based on map maker instead of scenario?

15. #35 / 39
    Soot and Poo Cumberdale
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

{#emotions_dlg.lol} ha ha ha! 

I'd like to make a turn based version as a scenario - not sure if it would work or not.  Good point though - I think there should be one scenario only for the purposes of the contest.  After the contest I might add more scenarios to my board.  At teh very least there will be one with the river stretching across the entire continent. 

16. #36 / 39
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Which brings up another point.  What if someone has 2+ scenarios that they have developed for their Pangaea board?  Do they have to pick one to be their official submission.  Or do voters just have to play at least one of the scenarios & then we vote based on map maker instead of scenario?

This is what I was thinking:

Limit 1 entrance per person.  Other non-entry scenarios may be available to be submitted to be attached to the final board, but only 1 entry.

He has risen!

17. #37 / 39
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That would be my vote as well.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

18. #38 / 39
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Thats what I think as well.  I do want to do a factory version of my board after we are done.

19. #39 / 39
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

well.... didn't get mine done in time.

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Chirst

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)