185 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 19
    Standard Member Plentyenuf
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

The game will not remove itself from my active games list and gives me no way to end it. Is the difficulty in ending a game intended to get people to pay premium? At this rate 10 games on this site and then never again if finished games are being considered part of my 10 active games.

2. #2 / 19
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Finished games do not count as part of the active 10 games. However, it looks like you are in 10 (public) games that aren't finished yet. Are you not?

3. #3 / 19
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Looks to me like you're in 10 Active games and you've finished only 2.

I suppose you could always resign, commit suicide, or just time out of a game if you really want to end it.

10 active games is very reasonable considering the price.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

4. #4 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I just wish there was another way to exit the game rather then having to wait for everyone in game to let you surrender or waiting days on a turn timer. Half the games I joined, turned out to be very undesirable.

5. #5 / 19
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You can read that thread : http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1471

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

6. #6 / 19
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Plentyenuf wrote:

I just wish there was another way to exit the game rather then having to wait for everyone in game to let you surrender or waiting days on a turn timer. Half the games I joined, turned out to be very undesirable.

Maybe so, but at this point you're getting more than what you're paying for.  FWIW, even those of us that pay end up playing in games that we wished we hadn't joined in the first place Hmm, ..just like real life.

7. #7 / 19
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Plentyenuf wrote:

Half the games I joined, turned out to be very undesirable.

What makes them undesirable?  (Serious question.)

8. #8 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    Plentyenuf wrote:

Half the games I joined, turned out to be very undesirable.

The mechanics of the games. Not the people. For example, the TMNT:attack board is so boring with pretty much just one attack a day(60 seconds). The My kingdom board was just too much work to try and figure out what was going on. This is a good site for finding people to play. And for free, you really can not complain but it never hurts to comment on the things that you do not like. You never know, there might be an option you missed as in the quick resign or possibly if enough people do not like it and it doesnt hurt anything, it could be changed.

9. #9 / 19
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Plentyenuf wrote:

The mechanics of the games. Not the people. For example, the TMNT:attack board is so boring with pretty much just one attack a day(60 seconds). The My kingdom board was just too much work to try and figure out what was going on. This is a good site for finding people to play. And for free, you really can not complain but it never hurts to comment on the things that you do not like. You never know, there might be an option you missed as in the quick resign or possibly if enough people do not like it and it doesnt hurt anything, it could be changed.

Well then, you simply need to become a better educated consumer.  Before you join a game, click on the board and explore its workings, read the reviews, look at the charts to see if it's fair, how long it takes to play, etc.  You could even go and check out games that have been played on it.  There resources here on the stats side are extensive.  Also, as you play more and more different types of boards, you will be able to evaluate boards more efficiently to see if they fall into your comfort zone.

10. #10 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Plentyenuf wrote:

Becoming a better educated consumer sounds real good if you want to sound real good. I am not concerned about sounding real good. I am more concerned with ease of play. That is what this post was about.

Well then, you simply need to become a better educated consumer.  Before you join a game, click on the board and explore its workings, read the reviews, look at the charts to see if it's fair, how long it takes to play, etc.  You could even go and check out games that have been played on it.  There resources here on the stats side are extensive.  Also, as you play more and more different types of boards, you will be able to evaluate boards more efficiently to see if they fall into your comfort zone.

11. #11 / 19
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

It is certainly the case here that not all boards will appeal to all people, so I feel your pain that you joined a game on a board that you never played before, and never want to again.  I know I have done so also.

You can get around the 10 game limit though - Tournament games and private games in particular do not count towards the 10.

Also, private games are a good way to test out boards to see if you like them or not.  There is a list here of players that will are willing to play private games with new players.

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1542/Invite_Me

12. #12 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

It is certainly the case here that not all boards will appeal to all people, so I feel your pain that you joined a game on a board that you never played before, and never want to again.  I know I have done so also.

You can get around the 10 game limit though - Tournament games and private games in particular do not count towards the 10.

Also, private games are a good way to test out boards to see if you like them or not.  There is a list here of players that will are willing to play private games with new players.

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1542/Invite_Me

13. #13 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ty. I just feel sorry for the people that have to wait 2 or 3 days for my turn timer to put me out of the game. Bad for me and bad for them.

14. #14 / 19
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

You can always offer to resign/surrender. Again, just like the game in real life, if you start a game with people, the expectation is that you will play to the end, even it you're not having a great time.

One solution to this problem that I've suggested is for an AI "bootbot"  to play out games for players who are booted or surrender.  There was a thread where we worked out a relatively simple algorithm for play.  I think its time will come, but for now I'm sure tom has enough on his plate.

Edited Fri 10th Jun 07:29 [history]

15. #15 / 19
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

But Plenty is right that the best current solution is to let the timers run their course. I wonder if we could somehow communicate what the basic experience of a game is. For example, not only is My Kingdom complicated, but it's a large SG map that takes a while to play out. (I like it a lot, but I know what I know exactly what I'm getting into when I join.)

It's almost as though it should come with flashing lights "This is a long, complicated game, typically only enjoyed by experienced SG players. Looking for something simpler or quicker? Try these fun maps..." Such information would be useful to both the experienced and the new.

Unnecessary and a little demeaning? Maybe, but man do we get a lot of these people who abandon because they didn't know what they were getting into.

Edited Fri 10th Jun 12:02 [history]

16. #16 / 19
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've thought about adding something like that to my descriptions.  At least the ones with multiple scenarios, I plan on saying something like: 'Scenario A provides very quick games, where as scenario B can take a long time to finish.'

Also, in the charts for a board, I believe you can see how long the games are taking in # of days, but maybe # of turns would be a more useful statistic, and then finally having a way to filter boards to only see ones where the avg. # of turns is > or < some N would be helpful.  Of course this kind of breaks if you add scenarios with different characteristics to the board.

Edited Fri 10th Jun 15:56 [history]

17. #17 / 19
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think the "best" solution is to have the boards page and open tables page merge is some way.  Currently, I think just be able to sort open tables with the same filters as the boards page would be a start.  There are smart people out there, work this into a great interface.

My basic idea is to have the boards page as it is with a link to open tables / link to create a game from the info pane.  Add the filter (boards with open tables - on as default) so that new people see the boards with open table on Popular Boards/Top Rated/Latest.  Then make it harder to find the all open tables page for the less initiated (but keep it around).

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

18. #18 / 19
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Defintely some potential with that idea Alpha.

There's also an item on the ToDo list to make the description information visible from the Create Game page (probably as a tooltip).

19. #19 / 19
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

There's also an item on the ToDo list to make the description information visible from the Create Game page (probably as a tooltip).

I believe that most people will disregard such things (I am not trying to put the idea down, it is just that I am lazy and think that I would disregard them, but not everyone is me.), but I think the target players are the ones who join without looking into any of the information that is available to them.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)