190 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Standard Member General Domination
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Back on the old site, I know there was an issue of people having multiple ID's and using them to improve rankings... 

I do not see that we have this issue here; however, it might be a nice feature to post a warning message in public games when 2 or more users have join a public game while logged in from the same IP address.  I know this might flag those roommates who are truly looking to compete, but that would still be nice to know.

Just a thought... 

2. #2 / 14
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I fully agree with you. When people share or have shared at any time the same IP, or when they are RL friends/relatives, everybody should know about it.

Have a look at this :

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1460/So_many_cheaters_What_should_be_done_

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1146/Multiple_account_bans

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

3. #3 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

why should everyone know that i and XYZ are friends?
    it makes no difference in a game. becvause i'm friends with someone that means i'm more likely to illegally team up on someone? i don't think so. in fact, and others have mentioned this too, you're more likely to take them out cus you konw their play style. but same can be said of others that know each other thus this site only (Wonder Woman, Gimli, BeastlyMaster come to mind for me).
    the only time it would come into play is if we're in a team game (read that again: TEAM game) then yes it's advantageous to be able to talk easier than PMing), but then again its a team game and doesn't matter.

oh and to throw another one in there, i work for a company of 10k ppl, all those that play this site all will appear to have the same IP address even tho i prolly don't know more than a handful.

and yes i'd agree that what we have in place already is getting the job done.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #4 / 14
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

oh and to throw another one in there, i work for a company of 10k ppl, all those that play this site all will appear to have the same IP address even tho i prolly don't know more than a handful.

I'd say this possibility closes the book on this one.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

5. #5 / 14
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

or it might be nice to realize that some of your enemies from the site work in the company as you.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

6. #6 / 14
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:
    AttilaTheHun wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

or it might be nice to realize that some of your enemies from the site work in the company as you.

LOL!  That's an interesting way to look at it, Alpha.

"Keep your friends close and your enemies...in the cubicle next to you" :)

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

7. #7 / 14
    Standard Member General Domination
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I am not looking to ostricize people (spelling?)...  And all I am proposing we do is identify it, nothing more.  I disagree that roommates or friends would headhunt each other in a public game--and they may not completely avoid each other too.  I really don't think thats much of a factor.  

I want to be clear that I have no problem with friends being in the same public game.  I think the bigger risk is when people are logging in from the same IP Address and making very suspicious moves--primarily throwing the game.  I am not saying to do anything about it, but it would just put all players on alert that 2 of the players in the game are logging in from the same location and to be on the lookout for suspicious behavior.

Separately, I have to believe that a single company with 10,000 employees will have more than 1 IP Address, but I really don't know that much about networks.

8. #8 / 14
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sorry I just don't think this is a good idea - it's basically going to lead to accusations of cheating whenever any two people play with the same IP address which means friends / family who genuinely playing independently will get ostracized unfairly.

Companies generally operate behind a proxy server which means all employees appear to be coming from a single (or limited number of ) IP address. 

9. #9 / 14
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Sorry I just don't think this is a good idea - it's basically going to lead to accusations of cheating whenever any two people play with the same IP address which means friends / family who genuinely playing independently will get ostracized unfairly.

Companies generally operate behind a proxy server which means all employees appear to be coming from a single (or limited number of ) IP address. 

+1

10. #10 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Is there really that much cheating going on out there that some of you guys are searching for it, or that worried about seeing where ppl are from?? In ALL my games (1100+) there have only been a handful of suspicious play and those have all turned out to be some douchebag that just didn't know how to play (or play nice). I'm wondering why all the recent hubabaloo about this topic...sheesh.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #11 / 14
    Standard Member Beastlymaster
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

Is there really that much cheating going on out there that some of you guys are searching for it, or that worried about seeing where ppl are from?? In ALL my games (1100+) there have only been a handful of suspicious play and those have all turned out to be some douchebag that just didn't know how to play (or play nice). I'm wondering why all the recent hubabaloo about this topic...sheesh.

+1  Whenever I cheat you guys don't even notice.

~~~~~~~~~~
    So, Beastlymaster, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

12. #12 / 14
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Beastlymaster wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

+1  Whenever I cheat you guys don't even notice.

Really, I've been caught all of the times that I have never cheated and never been caught all of the times that I have cheated and both are completely true.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

13. #13 / 14
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Quality cheaters would not use the same IP address anyway.  I play from work, home and my smartphone.  All three have different IP addresses.  It would be possible for me to have different accounts and just play each from a different computer.

To take this to the extreme, with my current resources as a Systems Administrator, I could play a 6 player lightning game and each player would have a different IP address, one would even come from another state.  With a little bit of work I might even be able to come up with 10 distinct IP addresses.

So displaying this information would only catch the lazy cheaters and it might make you question if ligitimate cheating was going on if you saw two different IP addresses.  Good old game play observation is the way to catch them.

Wants to vote in the contest

14. #14 / 14
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It's easy to check which region the IP addresses come from so it would look a little suspicious. But yes, a high quality cheater would make it very hard to prove cheating - gameplay analysis would help but it is not always 100% conclusive.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)