184 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Standard Member clever Avery
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Northwest Passage New Map Tournament 12-12-2010  played 3 games record 2 wins and 1 lose.  Many others competed players of the Northwest Passage board.  I do not believe to this date the scorecard was reported to Records or ranks.  How or who would one speak to to inform this tournament report card.

Clever Avery

2. #2 / 14
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I believe you are referring to http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/229. ; On your profile if you click on "Player Stats" and then "Tournament" below you will see your record on this board and every other board you have played in a tournament.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

3. #3 / 14
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

OK . but under boards up top, Northwest passagerankings -------it was not recorded there.   Tournaments are not recorded under board rankings? 

clever Avery

4. #4 / 14
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

No, tournament games do not count toward board ranking.  This is because there are strategies which can be employed in a tournament which are meant for advancement in the tournament and not necessarily to win the game.  It also serves the purpose that players who do not want to risk their ranking can continue to play a board they enjoy.

5. #5 / 14
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

there are strategies which can be employed in a tournament which are meant for advancement in the tournament and not necessarily to win the game.

Can you expand on this? 

6. #6 / 14
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I can think of one that I don't think it has much to do with the tournament mechanism.

Suppose you are in the lead in the last round of a tournament ..by one game.  No other players in the tournament are threats to win and you are playing in a match with 3 players.  The player in the #2 tournament spot is also playing in this game.   In this situation there are two scenarios where you win the tournament, and one where you lose.  It doesn' matter if you win as long as #2 guy loses.  Correct strategy is to do everything to can to help the third player win the game.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Wed 3rd Aug 12:50 [history]

7. #7 / 14
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The main argument had to do with elimination tournaments where more than one player advances to the next round.  You do not need to win to advance.

The other argument for not counting was to get players to try boards without worrying about global ranking or championship points.

8. #8 / 14
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

The main argument had to do with elimination tournaments where more than one player advances to the next round.

Do we have these here?  I haven't played many elimination tournaments, but I thought the wargear ones were always just one player advances.

M57 - Good point. I hadn't thought of that, although I assume that particular situation is very rare.

9. #9 / 14
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

No, but at the time when the discussions were happening, we were trying to cover such eventualities.  M57 situation is a valid example as well.

10. #10 / 14
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote:

M57..... http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/48  whoever wins the last round wins... even if your up 2-0, the 1-1 guy will win if he/she wins.....? i eliminated the other 2-0 guy thinking the same thing...still lost

This is because there were others in the same position.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

11. #11 / 14
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Five of you ended up with a 2-1 record, so at that point it is (IMO) a bit random as to which of you wins, because it depends on who else you all beat.  In this case, I think it was because Master Bratac beat 2 opponents who had 2-1 records, which was more than anyone else.  (e.g. You only had one opponent who also ended up 2-1.)

12. #12 / 14
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I understand process of elimination take out the top guy; as for, teaming up against someone is not classified in RISK of course as cheating "Who would in their right mind in the game take your side knowing at the end one of you would have to win," of course the game is also not name CHANCE.  

Point: Now let say there incentive was to win for rankings.  Would you chance yourself or throw in the game in losing for someone else taking out the top player.  LOL that is not a tournament that is a Merry Go Round.

Who ever is on top take out, but you still need to handle yourself in the game to do that trying to perform better than before.  To say my object in the game to only worry about taking out one man than I lose my defense against others as not performing to my best abilities, but have a great defence against the one in taking him out "if I am still there."  So to say my first game I lost to team A and Have to play undefeated team A in the finals "tournament Overcoming the best to be outstanding in rank" I beat the undefeated--with him being a better record at the end-- beat the best overcoming to be outstanding.  That rule is correct.

Goes back to my point without saying ranking these games than players to not play to win , but throw games.  In a wrestling tournament my wins record to my rank, I could not throw games that in wrestling would be disqualification.

13. #13 / 14
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

In Sumo wrestling, games are often thrown to advance in rank when it is more beneficial for the opponent:  http://hesomagazine.com/film/freakonomics-the-movie/.

14. #14 / 14
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I've seen a lot about that.  They get the bare minimum to pass, and then throw matches to keep other wrestlers rankings high.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)