2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 6
    Thread Slayer Severene
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I have had several requests for my original Battlestar 1 map.  I currently have it loaded up here but am unsure wether or to release it.  When I originally created Battlestar 1 it had several design flaws:

Attacks are shield to shield

No bonus unless you own the shield as well as the ship

The dice are way overpowered and goofy

People were being eliminated  before their turn

There was a huge elimination bonus

I allowed far too many players to play on such a small board

The list goes on and on about the complaints of the original.  BUT some of the people that liked the board liked it for some of the reasons mentioned above.  SO I am torn.

Should I release Battlestar 1 EXACTLY as it was originally released OR make some minor adjustments to the game (and by doing so change the game entirely)? 

Please let me know what you think.  Thanks!

2. #2 / 6
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think you should have an extensive testing and Beta period, and see how it's received on this site. With good testing, hopefully some of us can provide suggestions for mitigating some of the flaws while still keeping the fun-factor that the diehards enjoy.

3. #3 / 6
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I agree with Kjeld.

Although I would also throw in a Classic Scenario (aka Mod) that has the same setup as the one from WF.

4. #4 / 6
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i'll play a game send me a invite.
    i'm no expert tester but i love seeing new boards.

5. #5 / 6
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The true genius of the original was how it was opposite of how a game normally goes.  Your "Shields" weren't shields, they were the worst choke point in Online Risk history!  That's what I loved about it.  I love the elimination chains if you plan it right but even more I love screwing up an elimination chain and getting eliminated yourself!  It's not one of those maps that everyone will love but those that get it will become so addicted they will always have a game going.  I think I went 0-30 before I finally won a game on the map but I kept playing because the map has that "Oh, if only I do that next time!" factor.  There are few maps that I have more nostalgic feelings for than Battlestar Assault.  Hundreds of losses to Cald and so many times with TNK and us both losing...Good times.  I even remember a game where I went for the big elim but didn't make it and got the "You've been eliminated by Yertle" email seconds later.  Those are the types of memories that keep me playing!

Come on Sev, don't second guess yourself.  Update graphics, play around with the elimination bonus and rock the cards but at least give us an option of playing the original.

P.S.  This goes without saying but I'm testing this or I'll be one angry monkey.

6. #6 / 6
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

^^^ what Risky said Smile

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)