4 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 16
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I often find the 30 character max length of the "Game Name" on the Join Games page to be prohibitive. When creating a new game, I often want to include a message like..

So I was thinking that it would be nice to have in the Icon "Options" column a "Message" icon that, when hovered over, let's the perusing player read a message written by the creator of the game.

I was thinking it could be twitter size.. Maybe 150-200 characters max.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

2. #2 / 16
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Tell me you are not really serious with this!!!!

Perhaps it would be easier if you just made a forum thread about the 1 or 2 things you think don't need to be changed to bend to your excessive demands.

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

3. #3 / 16
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

Perhaps it would be easier if you just made a forum thread about the 1 or 2 things you think don't need to be changed to bend to your excessive demands.

Yes -- It's true --  Woe to any Jets fan that chances upon a game with me..  I was going to ask that the message flash in neon if you mouse anywhere near it ..but then I always try to make my excessive demands sound believably serious.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    Edited Wed 18th Jan 21:06 [history]

4. #4 / 16
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

+1

5. #5 / 16
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

Methinks Risky likes the idea.  ??  Yertle, ..not so much.

And perhaps no one else wants to opine on the idea because they aren't sure what's going on.. ???

Edited Sat 21st Jan 15:44 [history]

6. #6 / 16
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

No, I think this is the silliest idea that you have had and trust me, that is saying something!

7. #7 / 16
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Can you explain what you think is silly about it? I certainly am not about to "demand" it; that seems like an "excessive" characterization of my idea, Risky. Rather, I see it as a convenience, not a necessity.   I can give a couple of arguments for it..

When I create a game - a lot of times I post a message in the "game messages" section so that a prospective player might read it before deciding to join.  I often wonder if people even see it before they join the game, So I was thinking they might be more inclined to check out a message if it didn't involve going to the game page.

I notice that some people try to condense messages into game names all the time. Some are more effective than others, so it seems reasonable to suspect that my idea might resonate with some users. Why not make it easy? Think of it a game sub-title. There's an obvious place for a quick message icon; I don't think it would require an excessive amount of coding.

Edited Sat 21st Jan 17:25 [history]

8. #8 / 16
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

If it can be done with minimal effort, I actually agree with M57...OMG, did I just write that?  {#emotions_dlg.nervous}

9. #9 / 16
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Can you explain what you think is silly about it? I certainly am not about to "demand" it; that seems like an "excessive" characterization of my idea, Risky. Rather, I see it as a convenience, not a necessity.   I can give a couple of arguments for it..

When I create a game - a lot of times I post a message in the "game messages" section so that a prospective player might read it before deciding to join.  I often wonder if people even see it before they join the game, So I was thinking they might be more inclined to check out a message if it didn't involve going to the game page.

I notice that some people try to condense messages into game names all the time. Some are more effective than others, so it seems reasonable to suspect that my idea might resonate with some users. Why not make it easy? Think of it a game sub-title. There's an obvious place for a quick message icon; I don't think it would require an excessive amount of coding.

+1

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

10. #10 / 16
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Dude, if you think the use of the word "Silly" is excessive then you must cry when you read your map reviews.

11. #11 / 16
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

1)  If you are trying to make game names that are 140 characters than you are making your game names too long.

2)  If you want to make games for specific people you should invite them.

3)  Games are open to everyone regardless of what you put in the title so deal with it

4)  You can barely move your cursor somewhere on the site without bumping a tool tip so let's not add more...mmmkay.

I tried to come up with more but they all used excessive language like quirky, stinky and poop

12. #12 / 16
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

Dude, if you think the use of the word "Silly" is excessive then you must cry when you read your map reviews.

Are you talking about reviews of my maps, or my reviews of the maps of others?  You sure do seem to be on a tear to ridicule me and make unsubstantiated criticisms of my ideas.  Are you by chance trolling for me to insult you in kind?

13. #13 / 16
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

1)  If you are trying to make game names that are 140 characters than you are making your game names too long.

No, I'm trying make an easily accessible first message.  I would think it might actually be helpful when starting Dev games.  The designer could make a quick note explaining the the board is "almost ready", or "trying to tweak the continental bonuses".  140 may be a bit too much. I just threw the number out there.

2)  If you want to make games for specific people you should invite them.

3)  Games are open to everyone regardless of what you put in the title so deal with it

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that message could make the game private

4)  You can barely move your cursor somewhere on the site without bumping a tool tip so let's not add more...mmmkay.

It sounds like you are making a blanket criticism of the way the site has been designed.  I have never heard this complaint before; I can't think of the last time that I accidentally "bumped" up against one of these by accident.  I'm talking about a very small icon that would join a field of similarly sized icons, some of which are also hoverable.  Surely you can manage to keep your mouse away from this small area of the screen if it bothers you that much.

I tried to come up with more but they all used excessive language like quirky, stinky and poop

Yes, you do seem to prefer hyperbole and ad hominem comments over thoughtful responses.

14. #14 / 16
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I am in favor of using the icons with the hover-over to keep the game page neat and tidy. M57's suggestion is a good one for a "message icon." The other icons work well.  I would even be in favor of a "scenario" icon with hover-over for description...but that ship has sailed.

Another icon that I think would be helpful is a "Difficulty" icon.  A map's difficulty is always accessible from the "Boards" tab but most players don't look at that (myself included) when they are a on the Join Game page and see the open list of games.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

15. #15 / 16
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I too like the idea of a "difficulty" icon.

But to offer a point related to Risky's argument, the "Options" field will start to get crowded or unwieldy. It appears to have spaces reserved for each icon (if an icon is not used, the space is still there), which means the more icons introduced, the wider the space required.  If the spaces are not inserted, then the icons look more hap-hazard as you look 'down the line', but it may be worth considering.

Edited Tue 24th Jan 09:50 [history]

16. #16 / 16
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Icon's could also be changed to two rows instead of just one, which would allow each one to have it's own proper place without needing as wide a column.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)