184 Open Daily games
4 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

so i've got a number of ideas for the seuss design competition. unfortunately i need help on at least two of them.

1) a grand spectacular idea, and completely original if i do say so myself; however, i can't figure out how to get the game mechanics to work. some thought provoking and brainstorming help would be appreciated, PM me with a pre-nup to help {#emotions_dlg.blush}

2) is another grand (and guaranteed to be popular!) idea, but needs time for severe graphics work.

3) another interesting idea that will be much easier to implement than the other two if i can only figure out one thing: how to flip flop the board layer and the fill layer.

what i want to do is have a foggy game (with an custom fog image) where; as you gather territories, you uncover the board image. this requires the fill layer to be on top and semi transparent. any thoughts on how to accomplish this? {#emotions_dlg.question}

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

2. #2 / 8
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

3) another interesting idea that will be much easier to implement than the other two if i can only figure out one thing: how to flip flop the board layer and the fill layer.

what i want to do is have a foggy game (with an custom fog image) where; as you gather territories, you uncover the board image. this requires the fill layer to be on top and semi transparent. any thoughts on how to accomplish this? {#emotions_dlg.question}

Yes.. petition tom.  ..and read this thread..

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2080/Alternate_Neutral_Colors_-__2_Part_Post

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 8
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i've been reading that thread, but not sure how anything there will help.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #4 / 8
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

this requires the fill layer to be on top 

See post 22.  It's all about putting a fill layer on top.. 

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

5. #5 / 8
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Also, I'm not sure I understand what you mean here..

a foggy game (with an custom fog image) where; as you gather territories, you uncover the board image

This how fog currently works using view-only borders.

6. #6 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, but fog only covers the territories that are marked on the fill map (right?).   So when they are uncovered, they are the player color, not a background image. 

7. #7 / 8
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Yeah, but fog only covers the territories that are marked on the fill map (right?).   So when they are uncovered, they are the player color, not a background image. 

Yes -- so you think W wants to uncover a part of the board that has no function?

Anyways, I suppose it is possible.  Define the non-functional part of the board as an empty neutral territory, set the neutral color to transparent (per the Neutral Color post - oh yeah, and make the number transparent too).  Then give it a view only boarder from the territory that you want it to be uncovered by.

8. #8 / 8
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

take a look at: http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/3212

i've uploaded some examples of what i'm talking about.

1) if you look at it the way i've loaded it, the only thing you see at first would be the white fishes (this represents my 'fog' image - how you would see the board if you didn't have any territories)
    2) if you pull the board transparency down you'll see the way i want the fill over the board image in it's neutral state.
    3) if you also pull the fill transparency down you'll see a 'filled' in example of how the board would look with multiple territories owned and colored in (if no fog). the entire cover is part of the board with the exception of the hexagon outlines.

the idea is that you only see part of the cover of the book that you own, and until you own the whole cover you can't see it all.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Mon 23rd Jan 14:56 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)