176 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 34
    Standard Member The Rope
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Is there a way to make a territory only accessable if a certain combination of other territories are held?

2. #2 / 34
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Not that I know of.  But it would be very cool for sure. 

3. #3 / 34
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I believe that's possible with Factories...someone with more knowledge of factories may be able to give the specifics though.

*yawn* *stretch* time to wake up..

4. #4 / 34
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think there are some possibilities.  I'm not sure if all or some would work, but all of them will have have limitations or caveats.

You could try putting a negative factory bonus on the territory itself.  Something big enough to discourage holding it alone.  Then name the continental combination something later in alpha-num order of things and assign it a factory bonus that mitigates the negative bonus.

You could make the territory non-attackable such that no one can accessit except by it's factory door.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Sat 14th Apr 15:34 [history]

5. #5 / 34
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Well, what if you had a negative factory bonus but abandon off, when you got to 1 army in the territory would it just leave it alone?  That way you could make each territory in a continent have a -100 factory so they could never attack out of them but then if you own all of the continent then each factory would produce +105 so each territory would get 5 units placed in it and be able to attack out.  You would also have to not allow placement in those territories.  I like that idea but I'm not sure if the game engine would destroy anything in the territory with the -100 factory.  Anybody know that answer?

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

6. #6 / 34
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

That would work...  but I would just set a separate territory off the to side.  Make it the factory for a auto-capture continent bonus, then give the border from the outside territory to where you want to reach.  

Logically it says IF you own THESE, TAKE THIS, which can ATTACK THOSE.

7. #7 / 34
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Cool.  I've been looking for a hook for this image I have been saving but this should work nicely.

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

8. #8 / 34
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I was going to make a game that required you to assemble.... something...  say a space ship.

If you went over here it would auto capture the engines... then over here would take the chassis... so at the end if you had all the pieces you would have an autocapture victory... but I never did :(

9. #9 / 34
    Standard Member The Rope
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

This is great, thank you.  Now that I am rethinking things, I think the factories could provide a much more elegant solution than I was originally looking at.  Beyond that though, I might not even need them at all.  I really just need a way to win if you have a certain combination of territories, and I am not really sure how to go about it.  There has to be a way, I am realizing now that the Go map has to use a similar dynamic to have people win when they get over half the board, so I will keep noodling this.  I have some other, bigger questions to answer first, but from a board designer standpoint at least my idea is possible.  Minor victory!

10. #10 / 34
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Just about all of these solutions come at the cost of some other functionality..  For instance the Go-Board victory condition uses up the units per territory placement feature.

I'd be happy to help out.  You can always upload a map in the designer and start a game and invite me -- even though it doesn't function or perhaps has limited functionality. 

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

11. #11 / 34
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There are a couple of ways to do the 'need x set of territories to win'

One is to have the per territory bonus set to equal how ever many territories you need.   So you can say: any 50 territories let you win.  All other continents must be factories, so that the player only gets that 1 unit to place once they get the necessary # of territories.  You also have to use capitals, because each player needs a capital they start with.  When the player gets that winning unit to place, they have a special territory they can place it on, that allows them to eliminate the opponents capitals.

The second way to do it with factories is similar to the above, you have various combinations of territories that are continents with a factory to that special territory that allows you to eliminate the opponent capitals.  Or simplify it a bit more and just have the factory eliminate the capitals directly.

12. #12 / 34
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

There are a couple of ways to do the 'need x set of territories to win'

One is to have the per territory bonus set to equal how ever many territories you need.   So you can say: any 50 territories let you win.  All other continents must be factories, so that the player only gets that 1 unit to place once they get the necessary # of territories.  You also have to use capitals, because each player needs a capital they start with.  When the player gets that winning unit to place, they have a special territory they can place it on, that allows them to eliminate the opponents capitals.

The second way to do it with factories is similar to the above, you have various combinations of territories that are continents with a factory to that special territory that allows you to eliminate the opponent capitals.  Or simplify it a bit more and just have the factory eliminate the capitals directly.

In the past I have suggested that there be an x number of territories necessary to win feature in the designer and/or an "any combination" feature.

A combinations feature would be the best because it would cover many other possibilities..  The player would need to select all relevant territories.  If they select none, then all territories are chosen,

For example. If the player selects 10 territories in the designer and then selects "5" in the Combinations feature, it would be "10C5" meaning holding any 5 of the 10 selected territories (at the beginning of one's turn) wins the game.

Edited Sun 15th Apr 21:57 [history]

13. #13 / 34
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yeah, that would be cool.

14. #14 / 34
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I think you could also make a bunch of autocapture factories that capture every territory on the board based around the winning territories.

For all of these you need to hold the winning territories until your next turn.

15. #15 / 34
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

I think you could also make a bunch of autocapture factories that capture every territory on the board based around the winning territories.

For all of these you need to hold the winning territories until your next turn.

This can be quite unwieldy. Even something as small as 10C5 would require 252 combinations of continents.

16. #16 / 34
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

If you wanted "any 5 out of these 10" then yes it is unwieldy, but if you said "these 5" then it is not.

17. #17 / 34
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm thinking there are a lot of situations where designer would prefer combinations. 

For instance to free up the stone in hand feature on a Go-Geared type of game, on the 9x9 board alone, it would require 2.1 X 1023 continents/factories

18. #18 / 34
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That's doable, right? ;)

Edited Sun 15th Apr 23:02 [history]

19. #19 / 34
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Don't get me started...  

Capture the Flag - http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/2950  2600 continents for a failed system.

King of the Hill - http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/2969 3750 continents for a failed system that breaks WG...

Pong has 1500... so glad it works...

20. #20 / 34
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Battle Ship - http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/2885 - don't know how many this would take...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)