183 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

just wondering what people do to change things in our lives around the world?

2. #2 / 15
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i myself can not think of anything i have done to change the life around the world except for the fact that i don't litter.

3. #3 / 15
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

and i pick up other peoples litter. ..........maybe i should rename this thread to who picks up litter all the time.:)

4. #4 / 15
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Being a Christian, I try to take the Bible's advice on how to help change the world (and it has a lot of advice on that). #1 thing for me is to love people as much as i can. 

unless you're just talking about the physicality of the world...

5. #5 / 15
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

ha - I also pick up litter when I walk around the town I live in -

I try to live by the basic rules - leave a place better than you found it, do unto others, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if I could/should do more - esp volunteering - which I don't think I do enough of -

6. #6 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I used to donate my time.  I volunteered in political causes I believed in, registered new voters, helped at a homeless shelter and animal shelter, did trash pickups.  For the last several years, I have had less time and more money, so now I donate my money and not my time.  I still give to basically the same organizations or causes I used to.

In my personal life (real & virtual), I try to be as kind as possible.  I used to like getting into arguments online, now I get more enjoyment out of trying to find consensus and understanding.

7. #7 / 15
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Spy vs Spy

8. #8 / 15
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I used to donate my time.  I volunteered in political causes I believed in, registered new voters, helped at a homeless shelter and animal shelter, did trash pickups.  For the last several years, I have had less time and more money, so now I donate my money and not my time.  I still give to basically the same organizations or causes I used to.

This is a really good point about time vs money. You should just give whatever you have to give.

9. #9 / 15
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've never had any money, and always an abundance of time so I've given freely of that.

I spent almost a decade travelling the world and "helping people" (that's my broad category). Some things included ministering to a squatter community in Manilla or setting up a sustainable orphanage in southern china. I even wandered around in S.E. Asia doing good deeds for a couple of years (my friends say I was like Quai Chang Kang, but I think I'm more the Littlest Hobo). I got all kinds of chances to do all kinds of things, I fought lots of battles for good - won some and lost lots- I even worked for a place here in Edmonton that helps people with disabilities find work.

I did lots of cool stuff and I think it really helped alot of people, and I hope it made a difference.

One thing I have learned from all that though, is that 99% of the time, it's the little things that really make a difference. IMO if you take the time to really listen to someone, and validate them, your reversing the cruelest trick that a disengaging world can play and that is the best way to change people's lives.

Take the time and really connect with someone, that we can all do.

10. #10 / 15
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm a teacher.  I consider making a difference to be part of the job description.  It is very rewarding work.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

11. #11 / 15
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You ever hear Taylor Mali's Spoken Word Synopsis of "What teacher's make?" One of my fav's to this very day. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

12. #12 / 15
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i'm impressed ratsy. nice work. i myself have not done anything to change the world, i do want to make a difference some how and would like some ideas as to what people think might change the way the world runs. everyone tells you that anyone can make a difference no matter how small it is but in my view it's only going to make a difference if everyone does it. i hate to go back to litter but if there was a way to get people to stop littering then that would be a huge difference. ............... so i want to know why people throw trash out of your car instead of holding on to it untill there is a trash can nearby. i just don't understand why people are so lazy/ignorant.

13. #13 / 15
    Standard Member Vidoviti Milan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

not to throw trash around, unemployment would be even greater - poor garbage men would be unemployed ... I throw trash so that they receive a regular salary every month :D

14. #14 / 15
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Here's another way to think about it J... don't worry about doing the right thing, or even a good thing.  Do what makes you come alive.  Pursue what makes you blood boil, what sparks your interest, what you truly love.  

If you do what your passionate about, you won't be able to not help the world. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

15. #15 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Vidoviti Milan wrote:

not to throw trash around, unemployment would be even greater - poor garbage men would be unemployed ... I throw trash so that they receive a regular salary every month :D

Sounds like you're not serious, but this is known as the Broken Window's Fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

Basically, if the city didn't have to pay people to pick up garbage, they could use that same money to have people plant trees or improve hiking trails, or do something else.  The same money could be spent, but on something constructive.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)