Major
    Rank Posn

You heard the man... get'ta playin.

2. #2 / 16
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I have a suggestion for Ninja Ball - can black be removed as a color choice?  With the normal background of the board, someone playing against black could very easily just move next to an enemy unit without even realizing it.  I know I've almost done this a few times.

3. #3 / 16
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Either that, or everyone gets varying shades of near-black.  It is called ninja ball, you know!

4. #4 / 16
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Cona Chris wrote:

I have a suggestion for Ninja Ball - can black be removed as a color choice?  With the normal background of the board, someone playing against black could very easily just move next to an enemy unit without even realizing it.  I know I've almost done this a few times.

Personally - I disagree.  But mainly because that's my preferred color...and because I've used the above to my advantage on a few games.

5. #5 / 16
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

... I understand the concern, but I'm concerned to take the color out.  If you don't see a + shape around the territory, then there's somebody there...  also you should be watching the history often, which should help identify enemy units.

6. #6 / 16
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    Cona Chris wrote:

Personally - I disagree.  But mainly because that's my preferred color...and because I've used the above to my advantage on a few games.

Yes, it's an advantage potentially, but only for one player - if someone else has joined the game first and picks black, the first player and only the first player gets that advantage.  The second person to join has no option to pick a color that is potentially "stealthy".  In Ninja Ball, I watch the history and pay attention, but it's very possible to miss a black unit - and I bet a lot of players would be fooled often by this.

Boards where it is hard to read unit counts for certain colors at times or that allow a grey color that is very similar to the grey neutral exist as well - call me crazy but I think that the game display should always be clear and one should never have a potential advantage because of what color they select.

I agree with Ozyman in the end - if black stays, then I would like to see a grey color available that is close to the grey neutral so both players capitalize on this.

7. #7 / 16
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cona Chris wrote:
    BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    Cona Chris wrote:

Yes, it's an advantage potentially, but only for one player - if someone else has joined the game first and picks black, the first player and only the first player gets that advantage.  The second person to join has no option to pick a color that is potentially "stealthy".  In Ninja Ball, I watch the history and pay attention, but it's very possible to miss a black unit - and I bet a lot of players would be fooled often by this.

Boards where it is hard to read unit counts for certain colors at times or that allow a grey color that is very similar to the grey neutral exist as well - call me crazy but I think that the game display should always be clear and one should never have a potential advantage because of what color they select.

I agree with Ozyman in the end - if black stays, then I would like to see a grey color available that is close to the grey neutral so both players capitalize on this.

IMO leaving Black just leads to confusion at best and a tactical advantage at worst, so why leave it in?  What's the reason Black would need to be kept as a player color?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

8. #8 / 16
    Standard Member Knosken
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I agree with Attila

9. #9 / 16
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I suppose I can take it out.  It just seems so appropriate.

10. #10 / 16
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

I suppose I can take it out.  It just seems so appropriate.

If you want to keep black, just add a grey color as a choice that is similar to the neutral spaces - then both players can be ninjas!

11. #11 / 16
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Which is more upsetting to the public?  Keeping it in, or taking it out?

12. #12 / 16
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ultimatly you are the map maker so it should be your choice. i don't have a problem with it.

13. #13 / 16
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I don't make boards for me though...  If it creates a problem, then it should be fixed, but if it doesn't... I'm over it.

14. #14 / 16
    Standard Member Knosken
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I think taking the black color out of the game would be the most appreciated

15. #15 / 16
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

My answer was said with tongue planted firmly in cheek.
    I understand it's a tactical advantage, so I'm happy with removing it.

As long as doing so won't ruin the games that I'm in (because I'm black in those games)

16. #16 / 16
    Standard Member Ceggon
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I've played black for the advantage it gives (after having been on the wrong side before).  But unless its an advantage both players could have, I'd be for taking it out.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)