202 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 7
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Has the idea of allowing a replay of a game with the players reversed been suggested?    For two player games,  it'd be kind of fun to be able to replay the exact same map and placements but with the ownership and turn placement reversed.    I'm not sure how this would work for anything but 2-player games and "maybe" they shouldn't be ranked?  Although I'm not sure why not.

2. #2 / 7
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

If an opponent was to play me and win (at least in part) because he had a superior starting position, I don't know why he would accept an offer to play the game again from an inferior position ..unless he had something to prove or it was attached to some kind of bet.

The only way I see this working is if there were two games started at the outset that were played simultaneously.  There would have to be agreement.

Otherwise, the reversed game would probably need to be non-ranking.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Fri 23rd Nov 15:03 [history]

3. #3 / 7
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

If an opponent was to play me and win (at least in part) because he had a superior starting position, I don't know why he would accept an offer to play the game again from an inferior position ..unless he had something to prove or it was attached to some kind of bet.

The only way I see this working is if there were two games started at the outset that were played simultaneously.  There would have to be agreement.

Otherwise, the reversed game would probably need to be non-ranking.

You make some good points. 

I come from a slightly different mentality.  I wasn't thinking of it from the standpoint of being the one seeking the rematch.    But, I can see your point that in that situation, many would not offer a rematch.  But, I would.  In fact, when I've won a game mainly because I went first, I routinely offer to set up a new game with the condition that we would terminate until my opponent got seated first.  That's where this idea came from. 

It's not that I want to eliminate luck or neutralize randomness and make everything perfectly fair.  That's not as fun or interesting.    I just find games where seating and/or luck and/or placement completely decide the game to be unsatisfying, even when I win.   In those cases, a rematch, seems to be the sporting and humble thing to offer.

While I did think it would be a neat feature to activate as a one-game rematch option, I was also thinking it would be cool if two reciprocal games were automatically tied together.  In other words, by joining the first, you automatically get signed up for a second with the positions reversed.   In particular, this could be a really neat feature for  two-player game based tournaments, especially since wargear doesn't seem to have a mechanism for balancing the seating in tournament games.   For example, I once joined a round-robin tournament consisting of two player games and got seated first in only 3 of 10 games.    I wouldn't have even joined had I realized they were 2-player games, but it was a real bummer to then be saddled with that handicap on top of it.  

Edited Sat 24th Nov 02:38 [history]

4. #4 / 7
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Could not agree more, there should be an option for creating 2 reciprocal games. Better if it's similtananeous like M said. Also I beleive the 2 games should be with the same initial placement.

I also agree about tournaments, see post # 15 :http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1681/Tournament_questions

5. #5 / 7
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Mostly Harmless wrote:
     In particular, this could be a really neat feature for  two-player game based tournaments, especially since wargear doesn't seem to have a mechanism for balancing the seating in tournament games.   

Interesting.. I'm thinking "duplicate" RR tournaments, where each game has the same opening position, but players sit in different seats for each game.   Of course, there are many other factors that come into play for fairness, but at least you couldn't complain as much about your draw on opening position.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

6. #6 / 7
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Mostly Harmless wrote:
     In particular, this could be a really neat feature for  two-player game based tournaments, especially since wargear doesn't seem to have a mechanism for balancing the seating in tournament games.   

Interesting.. I'm thinking "duplicate" RR tournaments, where each game has the same opening position, but players sit in different seats for each game.   Of course, there are many other factors that come into play for fairness, but at least you couldn't complain as much about your draw on opening position.

And of course it will not be possible with fog games.

7. #7 / 7
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:

And of course it will not be possible with fog games.

LOL, I guess that should go without saying now that I read it, but I have a feeling it wouldn't have dawned on me until game two of my epic 100+ player tournament to celebrate the new feature.... oops.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)