174 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 6
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Would there be a way we could have a Beta Testers Group much like the Review Board where new designers and people newer to the site could start a game and it would invite a bunch of people who could help them with issues.  I find that at least half of the Review games I get invited to are not ready for review but the people don't really know where else to turn to.  They don't actually know any of us and aren't sure if we'd be willing to join a test game or not.  I know that I didn't start designing until I had several hundred games played and I still asked some players I'd played against a lot if they would test with me.  The forums are a tad intimidating for n00bs and the thread of who will test is hard to find.

I think this would allow the people who are familiar with the design tool and some graphic design software programs to give tips.  If there could be an option for the beta testing group to start a game and perhaps a popup that comes up when you submit for review that says

"Has this map been tested?  Would you like to start a test game before submitting for review?
    Note:  Maps that don't meet certain requirements will not pass review"

And then allow them to click "Review" or "Test" to start a game.  Honestly, I would rather help people with fill issues, factory use, bonus balance and stuff like that than actually review the map.

I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt

2. #2 / 6
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

As an intimidated n00b (well at least a n00b), that sounds helpful. At least a link to the sticky for dev volunteers in the help section would be nice (the part that says: "Check out the Board Designer's Chat forum for more help with Board Design." looks like it should have a link, but doesn't work in my browser).

My #1 request as a fledgling board designer would be easier alpha testing. I would like a button in the design section someplace that would start a dev game where I am playing every seat (although going through the time to create another account, download another browser, and the switch between them for a test game does give a wonderful hazing experience that might keep the riffraff out).

Speaking of which, I made a 2 player board that I would love feedback on. Any takers?

3. #3 / 6
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

As an intimidated n00b (well at least a n00b), that sounds helpful. At least a link to the sticky for dev volunteers in the help section would be nice (the part that says: "Check out the Board Designer's Chat forum for more help with Board Design." looks like it should have a link, but doesn't work in my browser).

My #1 request as a fledgling board designer would be easier alpha testing. I would like a button in the design section someplace that would start a dev game where I am playing every seat (although going through the time to create another account, download another browser, and the switch between them for a test game does give a wonderful hazing experience that might keep the riffraff out).

Yep. That's what some of us do, and yep, it's seems to be pretty high up there on the request list.

Speaking of which, I made a 2 player board that I would love feedback on. Any takers?

Absolutely ..invite me. Also, if you want just general feedback, just post the url to the design page.  There are probably a number of folks who would offer some advise ..without the need to actually play the board.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

4. #4 / 6
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

Link fixed, and added a blurb at the bottom of the Getting Started page and the Board Design FAQ.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

5. #5 / 6
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm always game for testing something new, feel free to invite me to any Dev game.

And +1 for Risky's suggestion. It's tough sometimes to find people to try something for the 5th time...

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet
    Edited Thu 27th Dec 03:38 [history]

6. #6 / 6
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+1

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)