185 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I designed my latest board with the recommended resolution of  1024x768, but it is not filling up my screeen and I see other boards that are.  I would like to be able to take advantage of the full width, is there a new recommended resolution or is it still 1024x768?

2. #2 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It depends on what type of resolution your computer has along with how much room your browser takes up (different menus/bars) as to if the board will take up your full window.  While most resolutions nowadays are bigger than 1024 for width (I think around 1166 or 1240 are some of the new norms), for the most part the height of 768 is still a pretty good guideline for height.

Personally, I'd still recommend to stay around the 1024X768 if possible as I like to error on the side of not filling up the screen rather forcing scrollbars to see the board (which I am not a fan of...and even some of my boards do this and I play them less because of it :P).

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

3. #3 / 8
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Generally speaking, I agree with Yertle.  My approach is to make the board as small as possible given the theme and scope of things.  Because of the ratios of screens on the desktops of many players (e.g., the iMac), I pay a lot more attention to the vertical dimension, keeping it well under 800 as much as possible.   For some reason (maybe because I don't always use keyboard shortcuts, I don't like scrolling up and down.  I'm more wiling to scroll a tiny bit left and right because the player and menu buttons are generally still visible.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

4. #4 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm the opposite.  I don't mind a bit of vertical scrolling, but horizontal scrolling for some reason annoys me.  Also if your board has a non-playable area, maybe text or instruction, you can put it on the bottom, and normally it will be off screen, but players can easily scroll down if they just want to take a peek at the rules.

5. #5 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I concur with Ozy.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

6. #6 / 8
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hmmm, I am torn, I am at 1024x768 now, and I am happy to keep the 768, but I am tempted to increase the width,  how many people have resolution lower than 1166 or 1240 I wonder.  I have a several year old monitor and tow year old lap top both with standard resolution over 1300 (horizontal).

My board has a lot going on so I would love the extra space.   ....sigh....what to do.......

7. #7 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

This data is about a year old now, but may be of use: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_resolution_higher.asp

8. #8 / 8
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks Yertle, that data suggests that if you went 1280x768, you would not not to scroll on 85% of the screens

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)