174 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 7
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'm working on a map that uses the auto-capture factory mechanism to work like a turn-timer. Ideally, the timer territories would be off-map and unbordered.

Once a player is elminated from the map proper, there is no need for them to continue to be notified of a turn that they have to login and pointlessly take as their timer territories continue to move around.

Is there an elegant way to eliminate such a player?

One way would be to have every territory on the board proper be a capital, so that when you are elminated from there, you are done, but that requires allocating those territories at setup (or making everything neutral which also obviously wont work). I still want a randomly allocated start.

In your Face!

2. #2 / 7
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Here's the map. This will be my submission for "educational."

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/4754

In your Face!

3. #3 / 7
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Would only progressing the Turn-Timer if you owned any other territory on the board work? This would be a huge number of Continents (and probably not "elegant"), but could allow for the "destruction" of a Turn-Timer...I think.  Or perhaps you could have something similar to where each territory is tied to a single territory that gets taken to show the Time, then either the player owns that which shows the Time (only during his/her turn)...complicated...

Essentially I think you will have to tie it to the Board, which will be the cumbersome part.

P.S. What about DST? Smile

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

4. #4 / 7
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Once a player is elminated from the map proper, there is no need for them to continue to be notified of a turn that they have to login and pointlessly take as their timer territories continue to move around.

Is there an elegant way to eliminate such a player?

One way would be to have every territory on the board proper be a capital, so that when you are elminated from there, you are done, but that requires allocating those territories at setup (or making everything neutral which also obviously wont work). I still want a randomly allocated start.

Here is a workaround I've tested:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2399/alternative_to_unassigned_capitals

It has some caveats, make sure you read the last post.

5. #5 / 7
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Also, if you decide to do it some way that requires 100s of factories, I can probably automate the addition of those factories for you.  Just let me know if you want help.

6. #6 / 7
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I've been considering how to get around the inability to randomize capitals -

The idea is to have a paired territory (with no borders, hidden on the side) for each board territory that is randomly assigned.  Then have  universal capture factory to the appropriate territories (that are all capitals).

This would work with a simulgear map, (since all factories are engaged at once), but with a turn timer map you would need everyone to take one turn to get all their territories.  I would like to figure out a way to keep people from attacking for one turn and I think I would have something -

Not sure if this helps you or not though -

7. #7 / 7
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Oz and I have something worked out. It would be nearly impossible without automation, but a couple lines of script should get it done.

In your Face!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)