2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Opinions needed... should the hosts of Lightning mode games be able to terminate the game if it is still in the Join phase and over an hour has passed?

It seems unfair that the game host could potentially be booted straight away if the game takes a while to fill (e.g. a few hours) and they have since gone to bed...

2. #2 / 13
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

1. Yes
    2. I wouldn't call it 'unfair'. If you start a 10-player lightning game and expect it to fill up in 5 minutes, you take what you get.
    3. This will become less of a problem as the WG player base expands.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

3. #3 / 13
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I had a similar situation the other day when I started a game that I'd hoped would fill in a half hour, but it actually took more like three hours; it was only a three player game too.  I had to go to work and was worried we wouldn't get things going in time.  Fortunately, one of the guys got himself booted and the two of us left were less than 5 min per turn so it got done in time, but I was about 20 mins away from needing to leave and getting booted.

What if the host was able to set an expiration time on the game when creating it?  As in:

The join phase of this game will expire in... (and then some radio buttons)
    • 10 minutes
    • 15 minutes
    • 30 minutes
    • 1 hour
    • 2 hours
    • Never
    Once the expiration time is reached, the game should...
    • Be Deleted
    • Start, as long as at least ___ number of players have joined. 

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

4. #4 / 13
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I had this also. I started a Lightning game at 10am to play while at work and I got worried it wouldn't fill up before I went home and it was only 4 players. It did but the 2 of the players that joined early got booted on their first turn because they joined several hours before the game started.

The Status is NOT quo

5. #5 / 13
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I think any game still in the join phase ought to be able to be deleted by the host. It's mildly annoying, but I can't think of any serious consequences of it happening. You can enemy people if you think you'd be deleting games if they join...

Like your grandpa, but angrier.

(If you need help with map design, look me up via AIM @ cramchakle)

6. #6 / 13
    Standard Member paulharrow
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I'm wondering if lightning games need a different amount of time for the 2nd move onwards? Perhaps 15 minutes for the first move, so the first player doesn't get caught out, but should it then be maybe only 10 minutes for each move after that? If you have 8 players, then that is 2 hours per round...hardly what you'd call lightning, and 1/2 the players would most likely need to leave before the game is over.

Not really sure about the best solution, but I think it still needs some thought and tweaking perhaps?

7. #7 / 13
    Standard Member bengaltiger
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Since everyone is present during a lightning game, what about giving the host the option of switching the game into the standard time mode if the game doesn't play out quickly enough?

This would solve the issue with people having things come up during the game and getting a boot for having to leave, as well as making it so that if a host starts a lightning game but it doesn't fill up it's not a problem because he just switches the game over to standard time.

Can't think of huge abuse possibilities off the top of my head... worse that I think could happen is the game you were trying to play quickly turns into a regular game that takes a while. Just a thought...

8. #8 / 13
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Thanks for feedback all - for now I've set it so that Lightning mode games can be terminated at any time during the Join phase by the game host - we'll see how this goes, it may need to be tightened up in future if there is any abuse / gaming of the system.

9. #9 / 13
    Standard Member paulharrow
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

The most obvious abuse would be to create a lightning game, and then sit and wait to see who joins. The host could then cancel, or let the game play out, effectively choosing who they play against. It would be very difficult to police this.

Bengaltiger's idea of being able to switch to standard timing removes the ability to do this.

Also, toaster's idea (see above) to choose the expiry time at the creation of the lightning game also removes the ability for this type of abuse.  I like his idea, as anyone joining will know how long until the game begins. 

Possibly combing toaster's idea and Bengal tigers idea would be good.  Host chooses an expiry time, after which the game either terminates, or switches to standard timing.

Edited Tue 22nd Dec 03:29 [history]

10. #10 / 13
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

paulharrow wrote:

Possibly combing toaster's idea and Bengal tigers idea would be good.  Host chooses an expiry time, after which the game either terminates, or switches to standard timing.

Or, instead of terminating or switching, the game starts with however many people have joined. You set a "Game Starts In X" variable and a "Maximum Players" variable, and when either number is met, the game goes. If no one has joined, then it could terminate.

Like your grandpa, but angrier.

(If you need help with map design, look me up via AIM @ cramchakle)

11. #11 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:
    paulharrow wrote:

Or, instead of terminating or switching, the game starts with however many people have joined. You set a "Game Starts In X" variable and a "Maximum Players" variable, and when either number is met, the game goes. If no one has joined, then it could terminate.

be hard on a board that had a needed amount of players to start.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

12. #12 / 13
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:
    paulharrow wrote:

Bleh, too much IMO.

Yertle is here.

13. #13 / 13
    Standard Member Jigen
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I don't like the idea of host switching game type. When i join a game I expect that game to keep the same rules the whole time.

asm wrote:
    Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

I second that.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)