2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

All - the new mapmaking competition format is below. There are now three contests a year as follows:

One Themed contest

A theme is picked (& announced) by Tom sometime around January 1.  Mapmakers have until Dec 31 to get a board live (i.e. through the review process).   A mapmaker can enter as many times as she likes.

Two theme-less contests

All maps that become live between Jan 1 and Jun 30th of a calendar year and are not contestants in the themed contest are eligible for the Winter/Spring contest.  The Summer/Fall contest covers Jul 1 to Dec 31.

Voting

Voting for each contest occurs in the 6 months following the end of the contest.  A wargear user must play a game on each board (or at least 6 different boards if there are more than 6 contestants) to be eligible to vote.  Players vote by ranking (up to) their top 5 boards.  And can assign ties if desired.

Prizes

• First prize: $100
    • Second prize: $50
    • Third prize: $30
    • Fourth, Fifth prize: $10.

Vote Tabulation

Boards receive 5,4,3, 2 and 1 point respectively.   Players do not have to vote all the way down to 5th place.  If they think one board stood out, they can just vote it in 1st and it gets 5 points and the rest get none.  Ties can be assigned, and are broken by averaging the point values.  Examples - A tie for first is worth 4.5 for each and 3,2,1 for the next boards.  A 3 way tie for 1st is worth 4 for each board.   A tie for second is worth 3.5 points for each board.

Mapmaking contestants can vote, and can vote for their own board, but must vote all 5 positions if they vote.

Votes will be tabulated on a spreadsheet & at the end of the 6 months of voting whoever has the most points wins.  Ties are to be resolved between the participants (recommend either an even split of prize money, or decide it on the playing field in some way).  If an agreement cannot be reached, players will play a 1v1 game on Wargear Warfare to decide positions.  In case of a N-way tie, players play an N-player game of Wargear Warfare for 1st position, N-1 game for 2nd position, etc.

As we are over half way through the year, this year there will be one contest remaining - the Summer/Fall contest covers all boards which went live from Jul 1 to Dec 31.

Thanks all for your thoughts in putting this together. The calendar schedule is shown below:

Edited Sun 27th Oct 12:51 [history]

2. #2 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How can you tell when a map was released?  Doesn't the release date on a map give the latest release?  So if someone promotes an update the release date would change?  I assume we don't want to allow a map into the contest just because it publishes an update.  Do we need you to tell us what maps will qualify, or is it possible for one of us to tell what the original release date for a map is?

3. #3 / 8
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'd say the date should be taken from the day of the first version being released to Live.

4. #4 / 8
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

@O, in the board view page at the top, there are two published dates - the "created date" (which appears to be the date of the current version), and the "release date," which is date the board originally went "live" and what tom is referring to.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Sat 26th Oct 16:01 [history]

5. #5 / 8
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So "created date" should probably be "modified date"?

6. #6 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Awesome! Hope I can make it work to participate!

I can't seem to see the Calendar Schedule, am I missing something or is it something else?

You have been granted the title of Strategist!

7. #7 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I can't seem to see the Calendar Schedule, am I missing something or is it something else?

I put the rules/calendar up on the wiki.  The calendar was there before.  I think I got it right.

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_workshop:map_making_contest

8. #8 / 8
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Fixed.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)