2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 35
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I don't really want to go down the route of having different game boards contributing towards the same ranking table as that will start getting very confusing to players.

I agree though that having multiple boards with the same design isn't ideal, however given the level of popularity of the Risk-like board it's the one map that could support multiple designs.

I think the way that this should be dealt with this is that WarGear Warfare version will be the official version of the board and will be promoted as such when the boards page is updated with categories / tabs etc. The Global Warfare board will be retained but will generally fade out of use except for those that specifically want to use it.

ps Toaster - I think that's a good idea to allow players to select the Neutral level just like Fog.

2. #22 / 35
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: 

I think that's a good idea to allow players to select the Neutral level just like Fog.

so long as the board designer can "lock" the Neutrals like the fog over ride.

3. #23 / 35
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes, definitely.

4. #24 / 35
    Standard Member EnixNeo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I guess I'll throw in my two cents since I'm a relatively new user and can give you my first impressions. My buddy introduced me to WF not too long ago. We started a match and I couldn't finish it because the board made my eyes bleed. I quickly found this site through Wikipedia, created an account, and started a match on Global Warfare. I CANNOT begin to describe the huge step up this site is. But one of the things that tied it together /was/ the Global Warfare map.

In GW, the background is even and neutral, it doesn't distract from the foreground and it doesn't gradient out across the board. When I first saw the board it seemed to blend perfectly with the color palette of the site itself. In GW, the continent borders are determined by the color of the continent itself rather than a thin colored border. The continent is the item that the whole game revolves around--I like that it receives the attention from the board design and doesn't assume some random player's color. It also plays homage to the original real life board we all got started on. In WW, the continent names are missing. This is a minor trivial difference (we all know the names) but it adds a level of completeness to the board rather than simply having a floating number next to each continent.

Just my 2c

Edited Sun 27th Dec 14:02 [history]

5. #25 / 35
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Reasoned, rational arguments counter to my established position give me a headache.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

6. #26 / 35
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The only problem I've noticed with Toaster's version is the player color Black still blends the territories together too much (other colors in certain areas may cause the same problem, not sure). As seen currently here: http://www.wargear.net/games/player/6223 .

I'm also against combining board stats for like boards, although I am also not a fan of having a bunch of like boards either.

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.

7. #27 / 35
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure where to report this, but I noticed the Africa continent is missing one territory, eastern Africa.

8. #28 / 35
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Norseman wrote: I'm not sure where to report this, but I noticed the Africa continent is missing one territory, eastern Africa.

Ouch, you're right.  I went and updated this and all games should see the change now as well.

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.

9. #29 / 35
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

That is really odd... I had that Africa mistake in my first Dev game with Tom, he caught it and I fixed it then.

I swear I checked it over several times before submitting and all was well.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

10. #30 / 35
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I've noticed that it's hard to see the borders between black-filled territories. Is there a way to make the borders more apparent?

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/6223

Thanks!

11. #31 / 35
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Norseman wrote: I've noticed that it's hard to see the borders between black-filled territories. Is there a way to make the borders more apparent?

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/6223

Thanks!

It would be trivial to make the dark player color a little lighter. It would be more involved to have to change the background image and get it loaded on a Live board.

Like your grandpa, but angrier.

(If you need help with map design, look me up via AIM @ cramchakle)

12. #32 / 35
    Standard Member Jigen
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

That's why I don't like black being a player color choice.

Risky is not a big deal.

13. #33 / 35
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It's all customisable now, so you gotta hold that against map authors that include it (along with black borders, which are too boring themselves IMO; I prefer to include a black player color and not use black for borders).

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

14. #34 / 35
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

It's a transparent border, so it will be black in some places and greenish in others.

I'm going to make version 1.1 that has a 2-pixel border instead of the current 1 pixel and will also change the black player color from 222222 to 333333.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

15. #35 / 35
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Toaster wrote: It's a transparent border, so it will be black in some places and greenish in others.

I'm going to make version 1.1 that has a 2-pixel border instead of the current 1 pixel and will also change the black player color from 222222 to 333333.

Cool, thanks!  I'm looking forward to it.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)