200 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 18
    Standard Member Davidny212
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like to make a suggestion.   How about when creating a new game the creator can chose to have the game count towards the rankings or not (ie a play for fun option).

I make this suggestion because I see many new maps being posted but don't want to risk a loss (yes lame, but hey, I am human!) on a map that I am unfamiliar with.  As we know some of these maps are fairly complicated.

This would allow players to try out new maps, get some practice in before trying a game that counts.

2. #2 / 18
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I believe that private games are unranked.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

3. #3 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: I believe that private games are unranked.

Yep, although I assume David wants an "Open Unranked Non-Team" game option.  Not a bad idea (WF had it), but I kind of prefer it the way it is, but that's just me.

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

4. #4 / 18
    Standard Member Davidny212
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thats good to know...I didn't know that private games were unranked.

But yes, I meant an open unranked option.

5. #5 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Team games are Unranked as well, even if Open (although they are still different game style).

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

6. #6 / 18
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'm not that keen on allowing unranked games other than Private games - I think it confuses matters when players aren't sure which games are ranked and which aren't. If this enough demand I'll add it but I'd probably prefer not to.

7. #7 / 18
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Agree 100%.

I agree

8. #8 / 18
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

With the emphasis on board championship points instead of global ranking, it's less of a big deal. Losing with a 1000 ranking score as you're figuring out a new board isn't as big a hit as losing with a ranking score of 1800+.

That being said, if you made a forum post asking if people were interested in playing some private games to learn new boards, I'm sure you'd get plenty of takers. The only side concern there is spam, so perhaps it would be valuable to have a new forum for organizing private games, informal tournaments and the like.

9. #9 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Norseman wrote: so perhaps it would be valuable to have a new forum for organizing private games, informal tournaments and the like.

I'd think the General Forum could be used for that couldn't it?

What's Your Passion?

10. #10 / 18
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Norseman wrote: so perhaps it would be valuable to have a new forum for organizing private games, informal tournaments and the like.

I'd think the General Forum could be used for that couldn't it?

Right, I was just thinking if at some point there ended up being too many game organization threads in the General Forum, it might make sense to stick them somewhere else.

11. #11 / 18
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I agree it would be a good idea to have a separate 'opponents wanted' type forum - it would get quite annoying if these starting cropping up regularly in the General Discussion area.

12. #12 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: I agree it would be a good idea to have a separate 'opponents wanted' type forum - it would get quite annoying if these starting cropping up regularly in the General Discussion area.

I guess I really don't care all that much.  But it still seems like this is what the General Discussion is for.  Considering it has the least amount of threads (other than Announcements), it seems like it could use some help :P.  I'm a fan of the fewer number of forums the better though.

What's Your Passion?

13. #13 / 18
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I dunno how other people use the forums, but I always just click the little icon that looks like two people talking to get the recent posts. For all I know the forum has 500 subsections, all I ever see is a single non-categorized page.

Only drawback is that Sticky posts aren't sticky, but then again I don't know if I'd want them to be so maybe that's not a drawback.

This is getting ludicrous, Risky's kinda-a-big-dealness has gone airborne and infected my signature now too. Wear your masks, it's coming for you next!

14. #14 / 18
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: I dunno how other people use the forums, but I always just click the little icon that looks like two people talking to get the recent posts.

Ditto. I've been wondering the same thing.

I agree

15. #15 / 18
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Once tournaments are in, you'll have an outlet for unranked open play.

Like your grandpa, but angrier.

(If you need help with map design, look me up via AIM @ cramchakle)

16. #16 / 18
    Standard Member paulharrow
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I thought of this idea just after I lost 120 points this week trying out new boards. I decided against asking for it though, thinking that it was just another complication for people joining/creating games, especially considering all the good work that has been done simplifying and tuning the turn times and auto-boot rules.

Could I suggest a sticky thread in the general forum for this purpose. I'm sure there's a few of us interested enough to make it worth while, and then it can be dealt with in private games.

Regards,
    Harrow. (most of my RL friends don't even know my first name is Paul) ;-)

Edited Wed 6th Jan 04:00 [history]

17. #17 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:
    IRoll11s wrote: I dunno how other people use the forums, but I always just click the little icon that looks like two people talking to get the recent posts.

I use the main Forum tab and see when the Last Post changes to know to go to that Forum or not :).

What's Your Passion?

18. #18 / 18
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    asm wrote:

I use the main Forum tab and see when the Last Post changes to know to go to that Forum or not :).

would be nice to put that little 'new post' icon so you don't have to remember when you last visited to see if the most recent post is after the last time you visited...{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Don't Taze Me Bro!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)