2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Hi all:

What's the best etiquette for leaving a game early, should it run much, much longer than you had anticipated or something comes up and takes you away from the internet?

I recently found myself in a nice three-way fight with two good players. I was excited, b/c I'm not very good at even handed, multi-player finishes (topic for different post) and felt like I was learning a bit. Unfortunately, the slow close to the game ran into a meeting that I had scheduled.   All were trying to keep the board balanced and look for an opportunity. So, I made my issue known just before my turn, when the players had ~ an even number of armies (cards were not optimal) and then I communicated the issue and offered my surrender.

Certainly, the best tenet for this is, "don't be an idiot. In this case, don't join a live game, if you may have to leave early." But it happened.

2. #2 / 8
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Sounds to me like you couldn't do much better than you did. I was going to offer the advice in your last paragraph but you covered that already. Short of that, finding a moment when your departure won't imbalance the game for the other players, and offering plenty of advance warning, sounds like the best possible outcome. So good on you for being considerate.

Been gone a while. You all did a good job holding down the fort.

3. #3 / 8
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

There is no good current solution, but dumb bots would be nice..

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1472p1/AI_player(s)

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

4. #4 / 8
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

There is no good current solution, but dumb bots would be nice..

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1472p1/AI_player(s)

Very interesting boot-bot idea. Until such time, I'll just have to avoid being a dumb-ass, or live with the guilt. :)

Thanks.

5. #5 / 8
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

it would have been interesting if you could have stayed. i was about to blow things up regardless. just turned out that way this time. there's been plenty where i had to bow out much less gracefully (someone comes into the cube, i don't have the luxury of offeriing surrenders).

i know it's been discussed in the past (but i can't remember the outcome) of voting to terminate the RT limit for a normal X-day limit.  sometimes (like this one) i wish for that.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 8
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That seems like a great idea.

Been gone a while. You all did a good job holding down the fort.

7. #7 / 8
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

"i was about to blow things up regardless."

i know it's been discussed in the past (but i can't remember the outcome) of voting to terminate the RT limit for a normal X-day limit.  sometimes (like this one) i wish for that.

Completely agree that you had solid odds for winning (you shouldn't feel like you won that by default), but it would have been fun, Weathertop.

The idea to vote for a change in turn timer could be helpful in various cases, if used judiciously. Then there's always the start of a new game.

8. #8 / 8
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

there is a 'rematch' option that creates a private unranked game if you want to go that route...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)