181 Open Daily games
4 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I just finished this: http://www.wargear.net/games/view/439506 game and as my opponent wanted to fight to the bitter end I had to win by satisfying the American win condition of holding all 5 road ends.  Usually when a player gets behind they surrender but there have been a few times that I have won in this way.  The problem I discovered this time was that since I was watching my streaks closely I realized that this win condition, though saying "eliminated" in the table at the bottom in game, does not actually register as an elimination for the elimination streak tally on one's profile page!  My streak is currently at 100 games and I have just realized that this glitch has probably cost my streak by a few :-(  Can this be rectified for future streakers?

2. #2 / 9
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Hmm it's an interesting one - I think it's certainly arguable that it's not an elimination in that instance - although clearly it is a winning move!

Happy to take everyone else's views as always... but strictly you have not eliminated him so a streak increase isn't justified.

3. #3 / 9
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

So you're saying... I have to clean up all the players on-board scraps as well as the auto capture spy territories even though as a win mechanism it's supposed to be elimination just by satisfying the win condition... Alternatively, the British always satisfy elimination by the fact that they capture a capital without all the mop up being necessary, so, by the same logic capitals shouldn't be eliminations either because really there is still stuff on the board?  Or, if capitals eliminate then win conditions also eliminate.  Simple as that!

4. #4 / 9
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

There are a number of games where you win without eliminating players. Or at least, no elimination is counted. 

I do think there are a few situations where eliminations occur and aren't counted -- I've noticed it in Simulgear games on occasion. 

I don't think it's worth making any changes.

5. #5 / 9
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Well... If you are on an 100+ elimination streak and you want to add to it you'd basically be drawing out an already finished game just to do "mop up", which is not that much fun and really shouldn't be necessary.  But, if I'm forced to do it, I guess I'll just have to! - and the other player will think I'm just being an ass running around the board instead of finishing the game as I should be...  It's still not fair that one side has to do mop up while the other doesn't though and my point still stands that the point of a win mechanism is to bring the game to a different ending and whoever loses is, in fact, eliminated from that game and thus should count as an elimination.  I would prefer if it were programmed the other way.  If any win mechanism is satisfied in any game then all the players that are eliminated by virtue of the other player being the first to complete the win mechanism count as eliminations for the winner.  Simple and correct.

Edited Sun 17th May 17:58 [history]

6. #6 / 9
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

killing a Capital is eliminating a player as you're directly attacking said player and their stronghold.
    if there's hold X territory for N turns or  Y-number of territories, that's not an elimination...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

7. #7 / 9
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

If they surrender then it is counted as an elimination. So the only scenario where is isn't counted as an elimination is where there is a win condition that says eliminations aren't required to win the game. The logic is consistent in that respect - no elimination, no addition to the elimination streak.

8. #8 / 9
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I guess, to me, by the fact that the player can no longer play whether by direct attack or by win condition... They are eliminated.  To me the point of a win condition is to satisfy alternative winning scenarios that... eliminate all other players upon satisfying it.  To me, the point of these alternative winning conditions is to facilitate eliminations without the need for direct attacks.  Irregardless of how, player eliminated should equal eliminator getting credit for it.  Anyway, whatever, I'll just take a tour around the board annoying people to not win via win condition then.  Some players just don't seem to surrender no matter what!

9. #9 / 9
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Another wrinkle...

In this game: http://www.wargear.net/games/view/441003, I purposefully left an artillery to get my elimination but then my opponent (unknowingly) suicided his artillery... Every infantry territory has an auto-capture spy territory so it is impossible to eliminate by infantry because in order for it not to have already autocaptured the spy territory there must be an adjacent infantry which must already have an ac'd spy territory that needs to be autocaptured before taking the final territory... which must be an artillery territory.  This is a lot of headaches just to do something that should be automatic.

Thank you Babbalouie for agreeing to surrender instead of forcing me to put you into a perpetual standoff until you retook an an artillery space.

Of course even if there was an artillery these could still be suicided on the opponents last turn forcing the autocapture to be the last action to end the game once again screwing a player out of their elimination.

Alternatively, all the board territories could be killed off and a spy territory could be left alone and the game could be left forever dead waiting for the opponent to surrender... Of course they could still steal your elimination by allowing them self to be booted instead.

Really not acceptable that one side has no way of getting an elimination, period, if the opponent decides they want to be stubborn and refuse to give it to you simply based on board mechanics even though you have fully earned it.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)