199 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Just curious what people thing I should do about this.  I've been working on cleaning up the graphics and some of the logic that built the mazes, and I would like to replace the current scenarios with new ones.  Should I:

A) Create a new board (Random Mazes II) with new mazes.

B) Remove all old scenarios and replace with the new ones.

C) Add new scenarios and leave the old ones in place.

I'm leaning toward B, but am curious what the community thinks.  Remember that some of the old mazes for whatever reason don't play well with the native player.  Hopefully the new mazes will be ok in native.

Also, here's your chance to give me any feedback on what you'd like before I do the work.  I'm planning on removing the grey player color (too close to neutral).  Adding a fog map.  Reducing types of maps from A,B,C,D,E to just Open, Normal, Tight (not sure on that wording, but just 3 choices).  Also a bit of cleanup of some other graphics.  Make the maps duel layer.  And add some bigger maps, and more rectangular maps to better match the shape of most of our monitors.

I had hoped to use some math to make sure the maps were balanced, but that whole graph theory excursion kind of fizzled.  If you have suggestions on that front - an algorithm you could apply to determine if a maze map was 'balanced'  (whatever that means to you), please feel free to share also.

2. #2 / 12
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think the dual (duel?Wink) layer will fix the issues with the native player.

Unless there are significant gameplay changes I would go with B. Worked just fine with Invention and that one actually had gameplay changes. If it is basically the same game then B would retain rankings properly. A and C both add a lot of clutter.

That being said, I don't play random mazes very often. Opinions of the people that do should probably take precedence.

“If you're always on time, it implies that you never have anything better you should be doing.” ― Brandon Sanderson

3. #3 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>I think the dual (duel?Wink) layer

Argh.  This is one I have to think about every time, and I even went back and changed it this time & still got it wrong...

>I would go with B. Worked just fine with Invention and that one actually had gameplay changes.

Actually for Invention I went with option 'C', in that there are still 'original' scenarios available for people that like the 1st edition.  But that is a lot different because there are just 2 scenarios for each edition, while Random Mazes has like 16 scenarios currently.

4. #4 / 12
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

B

5. #5 / 12
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Hummm, I was torn on what I preferred, but I am persuaded by Korrun's arguments and would also opt for B as the best option. I do like the "E" scenario myself as well as the 20 x 20 option, and didn't enjoy the "A" scenario as much, but I think some players do prefer the more open games

6. #6 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Actually, I am going to leave the 5 levels of openness/tightness, but I forgot two changes I made:

1) Got rid of the pac-man style side warping.

2) Add line of sight view borders. 

Here's a public dev game if you want to try it out & help me make sure it's working before I add another 20 scenarios.

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/509945

7. #7 / 12
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

1) Got rid of the pac-man style side warping.

Good.  That was wacky

2) Add line of sight view borders. 

Are you going to have the "can't see the territory next to me since only one kind of border is allowed but can see those farther away" problem with the fog setting and the view borders?

8. #8 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>Are you going to have the "can't see the territory next to me since only one kind of border is allowed but can see those farther away" problem with the fog setting and the view borders?

The only way around that is to either lock down the fog level so that no one can change or it, or just not have the view borders at all.    It's really only a problem with Total Fog, but unfortunately there is no way to just disallow Total Fog - I'd have to lock it to a single fog level.  I could create different scenarios for none, light, medium & heavy.  But I already have 5 maze sizes, & 5 levels of opennesses, so 25 scenarios.  With 4 more fog types, i'd be 100 scenarios...

9. #9 / 12
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

>Are you going to have the "can't see the territory next to me since only one kind of border is allowed but can see those farther away" problem with the fog setting and the view borders?

The only way around that is to either lock down the fog level so that no one can change or it, or just not have the view borders at all.    It's really only a problem with Total Fog, but unfortunately there is no way to just disallow Total Fog - I'd have to lock it to a single fog level.  I could create different scenarios for none, light, medium & heavy.  But I already have 5 maze sizes, & 5 levels of opennesses, so 25 scenarios.  With 4 more fog types, i'd be 100 scenarios...

It is also broken for heavy fog. Since it doesn't do anything for no fog, doesn't do much for light fog, and is broken for heavy fog and total fog, how about a set of scenarios with the vision borders and fixed on medium fog?

"Hey guys, you ever see that really old movie, Empire Strikes Back?" - Peter Parker

10. #10 / 12
    Standard Member Yclee0206
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

It is also broken for heavy fog. Since it doesn't do anything for no fog, doesn't do much for light fog, and is broken for heavy fog and total fog, how about a set of scenarios with the vision borders and fixed on medium fog?

Or you could put "DON'T PLAY WITH TOTAL FOG" in the description?

Edited Mon 16th May 02:58 [history]

11. #11 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think I'll make the more open (i.e. 'A' & 'B') scenarios have the vision borders and lock them to medium fog, and don't have the vision borders at all in C, D, & E and leave them open to all fogs.  What do you think of that compromise.

12. #12 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I looked at games started, and most popular scenario was E, followed by A & C.  B & D were hardly ever used, so i'll just drop them., and make a Line of sight with med fog scenarios and no vision borders / no fog restriction scenarios for each.

Another dev game here:

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/522912

Lots of improvements to the graphics & other things.

I want to get this right before I make 20 different scenarios.

Edited Wed 27th Jul 00:31 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)