198 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 29
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Good stuff. Big fan of territory highlighting.

In the "view what the borders are" tab, If you want to see all border types from a country at once but not see a cloud of arrows, why not make the artillery borders curved, like a cannon trajectory? Seems intuitive. For vision, you could accomplish this subtractively by removing territories that can't be viewed from that spot, or fog fill the territories that can't be viewed.

In summary, fog fill or cover the territories that cannot be engaged from X. For the other territories Y, Start with an invisible arrow from X to Y.

Is it view only? Leave it clear.

-Can you attack and transfer in? If yes, make it solid and white.
    -Can you fortify into it? If yes, highlight the territory. could you read the board as is and use that?
    -Is it artillery? If yes, make it curved solid white.
    -Is it modded? If so, color it.

I think that covers it.

2. #22 / 29
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

However how would we denote artillery / view only / transfer only borders with the territory highlighting system?

Could still use the different shapes: Eye shape for vision, square for fortify, circle for normal attack, triangle for artillery.

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

3. #23 / 29
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Curving the artillery borders sounds good but wouldn't work very well for short borders. Using fog to denote attackable areas is a good idea though.

I think using sprites would be fine for traditional maps but would lead to clutter on more complex boards with lots of territories in a small area.

4. #24 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hmmm, fog is interesting, although I know I use the board details to plan eliminations so walking through an attack route and continuously being unable to see player colors I think would be annoying.

Easter - The celebration of death, of resurrection, of life, and of a promise fulfilled.

5. #25 / 29
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: Curving the artillery borders sounds good but wouldn't work very well for short borders. Using fog to denote attackable areas is a good idea though.

As is, lines for short borders are worse. I mean, there is no line, just an arrowhead. A small semicircle would show.

Maybe you can darken the part which can't be viewed, instead of removing/fogging.

6. #26 / 29
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I think in highlight mode you could have green white and red for modifiers and then maybe another ring or a cross-hair over the circle that's lit for artillery borders. For attack and fortify only maybe an X or something over the circle. I don't know.

7. #27 / 29
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Targets are not a bad idea. If the picture gets too "legendy" though, you'll lose clarity that way also.

8. #28 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

And you don't want to mark over the unit count (if present) IMO.

Easter - The celebration of death, of resurrection, of life, and of a promise fulfilled.

9. #29 / 29
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

You would only need it initially, when selecting which territory to attack. Once you have a set border, it can display artillery in the tool tip, and the cross hair can disappear.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)