199 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 17
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

The formula is your ranking/opponents ranking times 20. 

So if we imagine someone with 4000 losing to someone with 100 that would be (4000/100*12) 480 points lost for the higher ranked player.

If we imagine someone with 4000 losing to someone with 10 that would be (4000/10*12) 4800 points lost, and a new forum ranking record for the lucky winner. 

Is there anything in place to protect against this? You can argue it's very unlikely someone makes it all the way down to 10, and I agree with that, I don't think the situation will appear. Still, interested to know if anything would prevent it.

2. #2 / 17
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I seem to recall that there is a 100 point cap.  Can anyone confirm? If so, it should probably be added to the Wiki.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Sun 30th Apr 06:52 [history]

3. #3 / 17
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

There is a cap of 100.  

4. #4 / 17
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Whew! 🤕

5. #5 / 17
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thanks M57 and Amidon37, good to know Smile

I guess it's no surprise forumers with numbers in their names know this Wink

6. #6 / 17
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

Thanks M57 and Amidon37, good to know Smile

I guess it's no surprise forumers with numbers in their names know this Wink

Lol, there's something magical about the number 7 after all

7. #7 / 17
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 has a link to a website just devoted to the number 37.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

8. #8 / 17
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I see 77 in the most uncommon places, just when I am facing a difficult choice

9. #9 / 17
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

If you're reading, Amidon, I have a personal 37 fact. I do not have a coin from 1737. Now, so far I'm sure you'll regard this as unsurprising. But get this - I have a coin from every other year in the 18th century. 1700, check. 1701, check. And so on. I'm only missing 1737. Have been trying to get one for a long time so far without success.

10. #10 / 17
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Any coin? Or just like pennies or nickles or something?

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

11. #11 / 17
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Good luck finding nickles from the early 18th century ;)

And yes, any coin. I'm a bit of a numbers guy myself and I have three themes for my coin collection. One is most different places. Not only sovereign countries but also smaller areas as long as they've made their own coins at some point. Like Greenland, Jersey, Bermuda, Newfoundland etc. Another, most different denominations. Just for the number. So a nickle counts as a 5, same as 5 dollars (which can be found as a coin in some parts of the world). And then most different years of mintage. It has to be given on the coin, I don't accept something that was made in 1737 unless you can read 1737 on the coin.

Apart from the themes I buy any coin I like (as long as it's not too rare, which makes it pricey), preferably something with a story to it - like my avatar coin.  

Also, I remembered Russia has made an Amidon coin. It's way too expensive for me to include in my collection but it's nice to look at:
    https://www.coinshome.net/en/coin_definition-100_Franc_37_5_Ruble-Gold-Russian_Empire_(1720_1917)-7YDBwcI0OBUAAAEmn6RKjg7V.htm

Edited Thu 4th May 00:42 [history]

12. #12 / 17
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Litotes, you should move some of this info to your profile page.  Also, any additional info about your avatar coin.  I see it's from the 17th century.

13. #13 / 17
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Awesome collection - that sounds like fun for sure - and ironic on the 37

Litotes wrote:

Also, I remembered Russia has made an Amidon coin. 

What makes it an "Amidon" coin?

14. #14 / 17
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Awesome collection - that sounds like fun for sure - and ironic on the 37

Litotes wrote:

Also, I remembered Russia has made an Amidon coin. 

What makes it an "Amidon" coin?

What makes it an Amidon coin? It was the denomination I had in mind. 37 roubles 50 kopecks. Only coin I know where 37 is part of the denomination. My apologies if I phrased myself awkwardly, I just meant it was one you who like the number 37 might be interested to see.

Coin is made of gold and was minted in very few exemplars, that's why it costs north of $100 000 now.

btw, if you think 37½ (which it amounts to, 100 kopecks = 1 rouble) is an eccentric denomination you're right, but I have coins in my collection with even more odd ones. One of my personal favourites is 1/16½ thaler. Only coin I know with a complex fraction in the denomination. You needed 16 and a half of them to have a full thaler's worth.

Another one I love and that I can actually find a picture of is the 5 1/16 G from Dutch East India:
    http://www.rondomons.nl/vergroot.php?coin=574677&tussen=V.+Under+the+Kingdom+of+Holland+and+the+French+Empire+1806-1811.&screenwidth=1920&screenheight=1080

It's was worth 1/96 of a guilder. The 6 is supposed to be multiplied with the denominator rather than the numerator. 6? Didn't I write 5 1/16? That's right, it was a misprint. They didn't discover it until they had shipped the coins out (made in the Netherlands) and decided it wasn't worth the time and effort to replace them. Have to love things like that. It's not at all difficult to get hold of, they made a lot of them. Despite being more than 200 years old it costs €8 in the store I linked to.

15. #15 / 17
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

> btw, if you think 37½ (which it amounts to, 100 kopecks = 1 rouble) is an eccentric denomination

Not too odd, it's an eighth of 300.

-Paul

16. #16 / 17
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

Litotes, you should move some of this info to your profile page.  Also, any additional info about your avatar coin.  I see it's from the 17th century.

Thanks for the tip, I updated my profile with a bit of information about my avatar coin.

As for 37½ not being unusual, I guess it depends upon what we're used to :)

17. #17 / 17
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

As for 37½ not being unusual, I guess it depends upon what we're used to :)

Oh no, definitely unusual - just pointing out a possible origin.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)