214 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12345   (5 in total)
  1. #81 / 88
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I wouldn't mind the season ender being worth less, especially seeing as whichever board is chosen won't please everyone. 

2. #82 / 88
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

redshift wrote:
    Pratik wrote:

- GSavg  is extremely unrepresentative of the GS in a tournament. A median or a trimmed mean would be much more accurate a representation of what is intended here.

-The WTF is worth a ridiculously large number of points (I've raised this point before, but never realized how heavily it is weighted).  Let's take some examples:

• winning this 20man RR - http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/2372 with a 19-0 record would give a max of about 850 points by my calculation. That's pretty much the peak possible among all tournaments. Whereas winning the 10man WTF undefeated would have given about 1400 points, I believe. That's too huge a difference.
    • Coming third in the WTF gave Johasi and weatertop 750 points. To put that into perspective, only 4 tournament winners (by my count) in season 1 got more than for a tournament win. (and that too more only by 15 points or so). Chele got 875 for coming second in WTF. Which is 100 more than any tournament winner outside WTF. 
    • Most importantly, if I've taken the correct rankings, according to S1 scoring, if the WTF was a regular tournament with the same players, the winner would have received just above 700 points, as apposed to the current 1200. Again too huge a difference.

1. Can you explain why? It's not obvious to me.

2. There's supposed to be a premium for playing against the best players of the season. You and some others declining to play devalued this a bit. Unilkely to have a perfect score over 9 rounds against a strong field. At that stage, though, it's not the absolute number that matters, but how many points you can get over the competition, namely over the pre-WTF #1 if that's what you're chasing. Nevertheless, I might lower the numbers to 100 per win and 150 for the winner if the other players agree.

1. The mean is a good measure for central tendency of a data set only when the set is normally distributed (well, to be fair, symmetric is fine). Given that our data sets have a maximum of 20 values (many with only 8 values), it is safe to say that it is not Gaussian. In such situations (even for large data sets that are non-Gaussian), the mean is extremely susceptible to outliers. For skewed data sets, the median is much more well accepted as a measure of central tendency, as it not influenced by outliers. It's the same reason that people make the argument to use median income/wealth as a measure over the mean values.

2. Last season showed that the WTF, while having a good crowd, was certainly not the toughest competition of the season. Several tournaments had a tougher overall crowd. In such situations, having it weight too much skews the standings too much towards that particular board. I get your point of giving a reward to those doing well in the WTF. But, IMO, that should be done either with more points, OR by having it mandatory. If you have it mandatory, and then give a truck load of points (100 instead of 150 could still have it weighed a lot), it is too huge a weight to WTF. To me, having it mandatory with regular tournament points is enough punishment for those who don't play in it / do badly in it.

3. #83 / 88
    Premium Member smess2
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Is this no longer being updated? If so that is sad.

4. #84 / 88
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

There should be an update soon :)

5. #85 / 88
    Premium Member Mad Bomber
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

Bump in the night

i want equal amounts of blueberry's
    I play on any field of battle...not just three boards

6. #86 / 88
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I went ahead and PMed Redshift since he hadn't been on since the end of March

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

7. #87 / 88
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Really hope we didn't lose him

Really great addition to the site 

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

8. #88 / 88
    Standard Member Rictuar
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

tagging for some stats knowledge

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345   (5 in total)