178 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 5
    Premium Member Neptunez
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Can someone smarter than me figure out the algorithm on what it would cost (theoretically) to take a territory that has 5 armies on it with the attacker having A60% D75% and explain how they came up with that number?

On the board, My Kingdom, we're debating the benefit of taking the castle territories around the 8 thrones.

Thanks!

2. #2 / 5
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Well, the idea of "cost" doesn't necessarily make sense in Simulgear. On average, 75% of those 5 neutral armies will kill a unit, so your "cost" is expected to be .75 * 5 = 3.75 units (averaged over a very large number of trials). Of course, that's the average, it could (and will) be anywhere between 0 and 5.

A more useful question might be, what's my chance of defeating X units given Y attackers with Z attacker percentage? (Note you can also reframe the question, what's the chance that X defenders kill Y of my attacking units given Z defender percentage?)

Such chances are calculated as cumulative binomial probabilities, and you can use a binomial calculator (e.g. this one) to find your answer.

So, using the calculator we can see that attacking 5 units with 10 units at 60%, you have about an 83% chance of succeeding (that is, killing at least 5 units, which is all there are!). Note that the defender has about a 90% chance of killing at least 3 of your units.

If you want high certainty of taking the territory (let's say 99%), you need to attack those 5 with at least 15 units.

Hope that helps!

3. #3 / 5
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Wow Kjeld, your idea of 'high certainty' is high indeed.  I would say high certainty is @80-85%.

4. #4 / 5
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

Wow Kjeld, your idea of 'high certainty' is high indeed.  I would say high certainty is @80-85%.

I was trying to demonstrate what it takes to get a level of "I'm going to take this territory barring some utter catastrophe of dice", something akin to attacking a singleton with 7 or 8 units with versus dice, which most players take for granted (though it can and does fail occasionally).

Note that with 10 units attacking you have an 83% chance of taking the territory, and with 11 you have a 90% chance. So somewhere in that range would be the amount that most players would probably attack with to have a reasonably assured success (assuming that any additional units are better deployed elsewhere past that point).

Edited Mon 30th Apr 16:49 [history]

5. #5 / 5
    Premium Member Neptunez
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Yeah that calculator was in the FAQ and it doesn't make sense to me.  But thanks for your replies. I kinda get the idea.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)