192 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Standard Member zdisabled_8a7ed3fe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I suggest a Luck column in a player's Ranking History, so games can be sorted by that player's final luck score in each game.

2. #2 / 12
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

The final luck score doesn't really say that much. I remember an Antastic! 1-on-1 where I was very lucky initially and quickly built up much higher bonuses. Then, with triple my opponents placement, the dice went absurdly bad on me. But it didn't matter. Even finishing with -30 that was a lucky game.

3. #3 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Luck inapplicability anecdotes seemingly intended to dismiss the request aside, I'd still like to see a luck column.

4. #4 / 12
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

camel wrote:

Luck inapplicability anecdotes seemingly intended to dismiss the request aside, I'd still like to see a luck column.

The evidence is more than anecdotal.. There are a number of threads that debate the value of the stat and propose to figure out ways to make it more meaningful, many with with a fair amount of mathematical evidence. There's an article with  some relevant forum links on the wiki here:

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=general:luck_stats#interpreting_luck_stats

Nonetheless, I'm curious why you would like to see the stat. How would you propose that it be presented and how might you use it?

5. #5 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I propose that it be presented as just an additional sortable column in a player's Ranking History.

As for how I might use it, who cares?

I'm not asking for a debate on the merits of luck's importance or accurate representation.  I just want to see a column for it.  Like the existing columns 'number of players in a game' or the 'delta' in global rank from the previous game, it's just another piece of trivia.  I don't understand all the static.  If this column is added it wouldn't affect anyone in the slightest.  Beyond that, I just think it would be interesting, another fun fact.

Edited Mon 4th Mar 00:52 [history]

6. #6 / 12
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Got it - no debate about whether or not to put it up. I'm not saying it's an irrelevant stat. But I still don't understand.  You want to see a cumulative luck stat over all games?

7. #7 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

No, I am not asking to see a cumulative "global luck" stat, and a luck column would not, in and of itself, provide that.  It would just list a player's final luck score for each game, similar to the "number of players" column that exists now.  I'm not asking to have it added or subtracted like the Global Rank, as luck scores between games, just like the number of players each game, are apples and oranges.

8. #8 / 12
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

camel wrote:

No, I am not asking to see a cumulative "global luck" stat, and a luck column would not, in and of itself, provide that.  It would just list a player's final luck score for each game, similar to the "number of players" column that exists now.  I'm not asking to have it added or subtracted like the Global Rank, as luck scores between games, just like the number of players each game, are apples and oranges.

I'm pretty sure that stat is available only to premium members, but from the "games/view" page it is available (along with all luck related stats) for that game with the single click of a button.

9. #9 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that stat is available only to premium members, but from the "games/view" page it is available (along with all luck related stats) for that game with the single click of a button.

Not sure I follow M....

O wait. You're saying it's available on the individual game page (and likely only available to premium members - I can't confirm that). 

So the numbers are there, they'd just need to be averaged up for what Camel is asking for. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 12
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Did I miss something? Where did Camel say he's looking for an average? ..and an average of what? I think he's just looking for a re-post of a number on the player history page??

Edited Wed 6th Mar 06:28 [history]

11. #11 / 12
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/players/info/Johasi Vidad/Ranking History

I'm pretty sure he means here. Which I would think should be easy and I guess could be used to sort and look at games. Games you lost with high luck, games you won with high luck, general luck on a board.

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

12. #12 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57:
    sorry, i went back and read Camel's post (#7) again. I guess I read too fast. I think you are correct that what data that post asks for is a given already - although you need to be a premium for that to be seen. And there's another caveat that I'll touch on in a sec.

JV:
    what M said is correct, each game has a luck calc'd (visible to premium) and displayed graphically in the Native player button, and both graphically and numerically in the game info page. What I *thought* was being asked for was something else.

I think there's still a question (in my head) as to if Camel was wanting it as JV says: on the Ranking history tab of a player's profile for sorting purposes (my head thinks so). Regardless; if that were to happen, as it is a premium stat currently, you'd need premium status to see that sort option.

Realistically, nothing in the suggestions box is likely to get implemented anytime soon.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Wed 6th Mar 14:29 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)