3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 20
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Thanks to IRoll11s coding we now have an updated version of the board info page which allows you to see the borders and continents of a board without loading up a game in the Flash Player.

To allow you to see the starting scenario there is now an additional 'Starting Scenario' tab for each board.

Many thanks to IRoll11s for his awesome contribution {#emotions_dlg.thumb}

2. #2 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Sounds like a good time to bring up this again :D

Why do some boards display differently than others?
    This board, http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Asherons%20Gear/Board , the territories display Fogged.
    This board displays correctly http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/AstroGear%202210/Board

Neutral Capitals still don't display in the Starting Scenario (and would like to see the [Capital] in the tooltip if possible).

Wouldn't want to throw a Show All borders in there would you? Just like the Flash Player has, it may be junky and unuseful for crazy border maps, but is quite useful for basic maps.

Starting Scenario, seems a bit odd to have that tab when it's just Random, but may be a bit confusing if some maps have it and some don't, so I'll just bring it up but not really care if it stays as is.

3. #3 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Oh and very nice! Awesome work 11s! Thanks!

4. #4 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I guess similarly, the tooltips don't display the [Capital] information when a territory is Fogged.

5. #5 / 20
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Should all be fixed now Yertle. I agree about the Starting Scenario, initially I thought it shouldn't show up when a board does not have a defined scenario but that would be confusing.

6. #6 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

This setup difficult to add to the actual Flash Player? Seems like it would be very nice info to have on the Board >> Design tab of a game.

7. #7 / 20
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Which bit do you mean? It's supposed to be a copy!?

8. #8 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: Which bit do you mean? It's supposed to be a copy!?

Board Info page show borders better/differently than the Flash Player since you can select which type of borders are displayed, along with the dotted lines for View/Fortify.  I also think the tooltips work a bit better on the Board Info page (although not sure how different they are since they always only have to show the territory name).

9. #9 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That also may be easier said than done due to the way the Board Info page doesn't have to care about Unit Count/Fill, so it seems to essentially be drawing Circle Mode on top of the board which may account for my thinking the tooltips work better.
    Perhaps it would be possible to do your Circle/Fill Combo that you had thought of tom for this.
    Do I make any sense?

10. #10 / 20
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

OK I see what you mean... yes it should be easy to have border type selectors, that is definitely an improvement.

The plan is to have the board view page fill territories properly.

11. #11 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: The plan is to have the board view page fill territories properly.

Will that affect the tooltips?

I know there are times where I want the Border info tooltip, but can't seem to "land" on it because it always thinks I'm on the territory and so I get the Territory tooltip.

12. #12 / 20
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

You'd have to ask Mr 11s that... hopefully not!

13. #13 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Mr 11s!!!! Consider that asked :)

tom wrote: Should all be fixed now Yertle. I agree about the Starting Scenario, initially I thought it shouldn't show up when a board does not have a defined scenario but that would be confusing.

Also why not just add a Starting Scenario (Board Setup) button (click to Enabled/Disable that view) next to the Border info on the Board tab ( http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Castles/Board ) that shows the Starting Scenario, just like the Flash Player does, then you don't have to have the extra Starting Scenario tab and reload the map there.

14. #14 / 20
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I think once we have the fill working we can get rid of the starting scenario tab as that page can go back to showing the starting scenario by default. It's a work in progress :)

15. #15 / 20
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

So Yertle, I'm hearing a half dozen feature type requests/questions but I haven't seen a bug report yet.  Surely you can find something broken?

Consider it a challenge.  I tested this probably more than anything I've ever written in an effort to make it Yertle-proof.  =]

I can add an 'All' button to show all borders if you think it's *really* necessary.

Circle identifiers for countries was used because we weren't sure if it was even technically possible to do a flood fill.  Since determined it is and will be adding that shortly.  I know what you are talking about with the tool-tip conflicts.  Luckily for this the border 'images' float on top of the continent identifiers regardless of whether they are circle or fill, and they only take up as much space as is visible (meaning they have no invisible rectangular bounding box).  You should always be able to access the tooltips for continents.

-John Hancock-
    Edited Tue 13th Apr 17:52 [history]

16. #16 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

huh?

17. #17 / 20
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Sorry using IE and for some reason it submitted my post after half a sentence. Of course you would read it in the 2 minutes it was like that before I was done editing...

I second what tom said about the starting scenario. It was something I didn't really understand when I started so I just kind of ignored it. =]

-John Hancock-

18. #18 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I was disappointed about the lack of bugs too :P
    The 'All' is useful in certain situations, but it can just make it look junky like I said. Personally I'd like to see it possibly added and/or kept when this version goes in the Flash Player, but also the All can be seen by going into the Board Designer so it's not like it's impossible to get to a view with all the borders.

19. #19 / 20
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I wouldn't press too hard at this point to move any of the minor improvements into the flash player just yet. This nice part about this is that is a small section of the site that tom can offload development work on, whereas I can't touch the flash player. (permission-wise and skill-wise =)

Initially the goal was to mimic the flash player pixel for pixel, but I couldn't resist adding in a few subtle improvements.* Anyway this will be a good way to test out things like territory highlighting vs. arrows, maybe icon identifiers, more info in the tooltips, etc. and decide what works. At some future point after it's working as well as we can make it (and after tournament/sim play) it might work it's way up the top of the to-do queue.

* Can't resist listing two: continent window is draggable anywhere on the page so you can position it outside the map, and clicking on a territory with the continent window open automatically sorts and scrolls to the top any continents that that territory belongs to.

-John Hancock-

20. #20 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote:
    * Can't resist listing two: continent window is draggable anywhere on the page so you can position it outside the map, and clicking on a territory with the continent window open automatically sorts and scrolls to the top any continents that that territory belongs to.

Aye, the continent window moving outside the map is cool and the sorting is interesting (also interesting that when you click on a territory that is contained in 2 continents, then click on it again it (without clicking on something else...dunno why) re-sorts the 2 continents it is contained in in different order.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)