4 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #21 / 65
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Charts should now work in FF, IE and Opera.

Board specific Pie charts now include the number of games played.

Dev games are also now excluded from charts.

Hope that's all!

2. #22 / 65
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

thanks

3. #23 / 65
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So this opens up a whole new analysis tool for designers to check the balance of their game boards. For example, we can see that player 1 seems to have a huge advantage in Gauntlet: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Gauntlet/Charts, whereas Spy v. Spy is actually almost perfectly balanced between 1st and 2nd seat: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Spy%20vs%20Spy/Charts.

4. #24 / 65
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Some of the neverending games from before the autoboot was implemented are messing up the timeframe graph at http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/global%20Warfare/Charts and probably others.

It's a trap!

5. #25 / 65
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote: For example, we can see that player 1 seems to have a huge advantage in Gauntlet: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Gauntlet/Charts,

...Ugh :P

6. #26 / 65
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote: So this opens up a whole new analysis tool for designers to check the balance of their game boards. For example, we can see that player 1 seems to have a huge advantage in Gauntlet: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Gauntlet/Charts, whereas Spy v. Spy is actually almost perfectly balanced between 1st and 2nd seat: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Spy%20vs%20Spy/Charts.

61 games is just not enough to state with any confidence level that player 1 has an advantage.

Jabbascript Error: Your mind powers will not work on me boy.

7. #27 / 65
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote:
    Kjeld wrote: So this opens up a whole new analysis tool for designers to check the balance of their game boards. For example, we can see that player 1 seems to have a huge advantage in Gauntlet: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Gauntlet/Charts, whereas Spy v. Spy is actually almost perfectly balanced between 1st and 2nd seat: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Spy%20vs%20Spy/Charts.

61 games is just not enough to state with any confidence level that player 1 has an advantage.

I agree.  In a fair game, you would expect seat One to win about 15 games out of 61, and I'm guesstimating that its actual numbers come in well under 2 standard deviations from that.

What would be of more concern to me is seat four's 6 wins out of 61 games.

8. #28 / 65
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    IRoll11s wrote:

I agree.  In a fair game, you would expect seat One to win about 15 games out of 61, and I'm guesstimating that its actual numbers come in well under 2 standard deviations from that.

What would be of more concern to me is seat four's 6 wins out of 61 games.

Agreed. I wasn't trying to claim any statistical significance with that particular example, just pointing out that this stat could potentially be informative for mapmakers. If we want really solid stats, we need a much larger n value, which few games even approach yet.

9. #29 / 65
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

However, the spy's numbers are nice and significant (parse that as you please).

10. #30 / 65
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote: However, the spy's numbers are nice and significant (parse that as you please).

Which brings to mind another point about analyzing these numbers.  It assumes (especially in the case of 2x2 games like SvS) that the best strategies/opening moves and sequences are being utilized on both sides.  For instance, if everyone believes that in first seat the best strategy is to charge forward, when in fact there is a better strategy, a 50/50 chart is potentially misleading.  I'm not suggesting that this is the case, but..

Edited Mon 10th May 07:36 [history]

11. #31 / 65
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Alpha wrote: However, the spy's numbers are nice and significant (parse that as you please).

Which brings to mind another point about analyzing these numbers.  It assumes (especially in the case of 2x2 games like SvS) that the best strategies/opening moves and sequences are being utilized on both sides.  For instance, if everyone believes that in first seat the best strategy is to charge forward, when in fact there is a better strategy, a 50/50 chart is potentially misleading.  I'm not suggesting that this is the case, but..

Totally agree. I'm convinced black has an edge, though it went from 55%-45% to around 52%-48%.

12. #32 / 65
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Sorry to post something in a different direction - (Though I do agree with M57)

I love the charts (especially the boards), but could someone explain what the numbers on the bottom of some of them mean? For example I am looking at the general charts for the site and am at Games --> Games Started --> Month. Along the x-axis is "days"with 1 - 30. Is that the last 30 days or something else? Also how about Games --> Games Started --> Today. What do the -22 to 1 represent? I see it is a 24 hour time period - so I am guessing it is the last 24 hours with 1 being now. Correct?

And a request - It's cool to see the registrations growing, but I would like to see the number of unique players that log in each time period (hourly, daily, weekly, monthly.) I would like to see how many active players we have and if that number is going up down and by how much.

13. #33 / 65
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Super WOW with the clicking on the board pie charts, that's neat!

14. #34 / 65
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

And now I see why the Regular/Team chart is smaller (although it could probably be turned so that Regular/Teamplay is up and down instead of left/right couldn't it?), to fit inside the box when the pie chart is separated. Perhaps the Game Size and Winning Seat (in some scenarios) pie chart should be a bit smaller too since the chart can go on top of the numbers when separated.

15. #35 / 65
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Should the Games Started statistic include games hosted by tournaments?

As much I love seeing Steal the Bacon as the #1 board today, it's really only because Round 3 of the tournament began and it created 8 new games.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

16. #36 / 65
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: And now I see why the Regular/Team chart is smaller (although it could probably be turned so that Regular/Teamplay is up and down instead of left/right couldn't it?), to fit inside the box when the pie chart is separated. Perhaps the Game Size and Winning Seat (in some scenarios) pie chart should be a bit smaller too since the chart can go on top of the numbers when separated.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of customisation that can be done, all that stuff is built in to the chart functionality which is a 3rd party bit of code. The only way to ensure all the charts are the same size is to remove the labels.

Toaster wrote: Should the Games Started statistic include games hosted by tournaments?

As much I love seeing Steal the Bacon as the #1 board today, it's really only because Round 3 of the tournament began and it created 8 new games.

Hmm I'm not really sure either way on this one... on the one hand it's a genuine game start even if it is a tournament game, on the other you will get distorting effects. Over time as the site grows bigger the distorting effect should get smaller.

Amidon37 wrote: Could someone explain what the numbers on the bottom of some of them mean? For example I am looking at the general charts for the site and am at Games --> Games Started --> Month. Along the x-axis is "days"with 1 - 30. Is that the last 30 days or something else? Also how about Games --> Games Started --> Today. What do the -22 to 1 represent? I see it is a 24 hour time period - so I am guessing it is the last 24 hours with 1 being now. Correct?

Yes that could be a bit clearer. In all the time based charts the right hand side represents 'today' and the numbers either represent days or hours in the past. (for a month it's 1-30 days, for a year it's 1-365 days). Where there's no data for the days it doesn't show them (only at the start, not midway through the data). There I think I've confused myself too :)

17. #37 / 65
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Yes that could be a bit clearer. In all the time based charts the right hand side represents 'today' and the numbers either represent days or hours in the past. (for a month it's 1-30 days, for a year it's 1-365 days). Where there's no data for the days it doesn't show them (only at the start, not midway through the data). There I think I've confused myself too :)

That actually makes a lot of sense, explains something I couldn't figure out.

It's a trap!

18. #38 / 65
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Looks like today has the most tables started (140 or so). Grow site grow!

19. #39 / 65
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Might be tourney rounds starting. But still, a good sign.

It's a trap!

20. #40 / 65
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Castles/Charts

As a matter of precedent/policy, I want to throw this out for debate: The chart for wins in 2 player games shows a pretty strong advantage to player 1. 70/100 games. Is the expectation that authors use this information to update a map and release a new version? I certainly want to take away the 2 player games as an option (a shame, seeing as how many 2 players games are played on it). How does the community feel about potentially altering the way points/champ-points are earned based on this information?

... danger zone! ...

Edited Fri 14th May 20:09 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)