180 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 32
    Standard Member Angusjustice
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Could you give us the option of 2min or 5min realtime games if only one is possible the 2 min game would be great it just helps out us hardcore gamers that have ADD. First time player love the site tons of potential hope to find some good gamers here.

2. #2 / 32
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tom, I think a Chat system would help create games in Real time ;)

Welcome to WarGear Angus!

asm is a CYLON!!!

3. #3 / 32
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Welcome Angus! There has been (much) discussion about a 'real time' option, and like Yertle said it was generally agreed that a chat system would probably need to be implemented in order to make it viable.

In the meantime do what every other ADD sufferer does, join about 500 bilion games at once so it's always your turn somewhere =]

Hey... wanna hear... wanna hear... the most... annoying... sound in the world?

4. #4 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thks guys! I agree with Yertle a chat sys would be great. This is a little off topic but can I download my own maps here to play? THks

5. #5 / 32
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Angusjustice wrote: Thks guys! I agree with Yertle a chat sys would be great. This is a little off topic but can I download my own maps here to play? THks

You can create your own maps (uploading images and creating countries/continents) using the Board Designer.

Check out the Board Design Help pages and definitely throw any questions you have on the Board Design forums.

asm is a CYLON!!!

6. #6 / 32
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

If you click on Boards across the top there will be a tab on that page for Board Designer. You can use it to create your own boards for either Private games amongst friends or for submission to the list of Public Boards (after a Review process).

There is a section of the forums devoted to designing boards. The board designer is both complex and powerful, so it's not something you learn in an hour... but it's also really fun to mess around with.

Hey... wanna hear... wanna hear... the most... annoying... sound in the world?

7. #7 / 32
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: but it's also really fun to mess around with.

11s is weird like that though...

asm is a CYLON!!!

8. #8 / 32
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Angusjustice wrote:

Could you give us the option of 2min or 5min realtime games if only one is possible the 2 min game would be great it just helps out us hardcore gamers that have ADD. First time player love the site tons of potential hope to find some good gamers here.

I think you'll find that the existing Lightning option (10min turn times) functions pretty similarly to a real-time game. I typically find that in Lightning 1v1s the turn times are almost always less than 5min, because if you're not sitting at your computer devoted to the game, you're gonna mess up and get skipped (been there).

In heaven, there are no heart attacks

9. #9 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I agree asm but the hardcore real time player can play a lot faster (similar to speed poker) yeah u might make a few mistakes but that's what its about. Learning from mistakes. Quick games to keep u interested Keep u coming back.

10. #10 / 32
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I agree with Angusjustice. A 2 min and/or 5 min option would be a great idea.

11. #11 / 32
    Standard Member Valentorg
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I just wish there were more people here that actually want to play real-time games.

Granted I've only been on this site for two days, but so far it's been incredibly difficult for me to actually play a lightning match. There haven't been any already set up, and the ones I've created either take quite a while to get players or simply never get enough players. It's unfortunate for someone like me, because I like Risk but don't really like games where you only make one move a day.

But I suppose there's not much anyone can do about this. :/

12. #12 / 32
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Honestly, give it some time. There's a good sub-set of players gathering that do prefer this type of game, as well as a group of players who will play it if available (like me). This site is very new and the community is still building.

...and is a douchebag

13. #13 / 32
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

A quick semi-related question.. Shouldn't BAO games go quicker?  Once it's your turn, it's everyone's turn, right?  It's possible in a five player lightning game for a player to wait 40 minutes to take their turn. That can't happen with BAO.  Everyone will have the same 10 minutes to take their turn.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

14. #14 / 32
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

A quick semi-related question.. Shouldn't BAO games go quicker?  Once it's your turn, it's everyone's turn, right?  It's possible in a five player lightning game for a player to wait 40 minutes to take their turn. That can't happen with BAO.  Everyone will have the same 10 minutes to take their turn.

Yep

15. #15 / 32
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Someone go karmawhore the site out on Reddit or something.

In your Face!

16. #16 / 32
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I've been thinking of trying some of the short ones, but I would like to know if people are around before I make the game. I am also quite leery of signing up for the ones I see since they have usually been sitting there awhile. I am thinking that a person could sign-in somewhere as "real-time interested" and get a message or something when one is created.

17. #17 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote: I've been thinking of trying some of the short ones, but I would like to know if people are around before I make the game. I am also quite leery of signing up for the ones I see since they have usually been sitting there awhile. I am thinking that a person could sign-in somewhere as "real-time interested" and get a message or something when one is created.

They're there for a while because nobody joins them, so being leery of joining them is kind of adding to the problem. I understand why you'd not want to waste your time but it is adding to the problem of not enough lightning games.

I'm always looking to play lightning "real-time" games so I always just create a few of my own and hope to get players. Often times the matches never even get started due to lack of players but I've never had a problem with people not taking their turns in time yet, if you're worried about that.

18. #18 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: Honestly, give it some time. There's a good sub-set of players gathering that do prefer this type of game, as well as a group of players who will play it if available (like me). This site is very new and the community is still building.

I hope you're right, so far most of the lightning games I've created haven't even made it off the ground. It's been pretty disappointing having to delete most of the games I create.

19. #19 / 32
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

One of the things I was alluding to with my above post #13 is that it's likely that many people shy away from four and even three+ player lightning games because technically they can take hours if everyone takes close to the full time to make their turns.  I fall into that category.

Others probably shy away from 2 player games because they tend to not be "fair".  E.g. the player who goes first on most "standard" style of boards has a significant advantage.  I fall into that category too..

That doesn't leave too many games I'm interested in playing in lightning mode (the list of reasonably fair 2 player games is pretty short).

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

20. #20 / 32
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Valentorg - I don't think I've ever seen one of your games listed, which is what I am suggesting is part of the problem. I don't regularly check the open game screen - and on the nights where I am on the computer working I don't feel like constantly checking to see if a game is available and/or checking to see if one I created has started.

I am also with M57 in that I don't like the possibility the game could take more time then I anticipate.

I know being leery is part of the problem, so I hope with some tweaks to how it works I would be less leery.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)