Rank Posn

That's brutal!

asm is a CYLON!!!

2. #2 / 12
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yes, but the aftermath of the whole this is almost better than a perfect game. The Ump has admitted he blew the call and went to Galaraga and said he was sorry. Galaraga accepted, said that in his heart he has a perfect game and respects the Ump for coming up to him because that NEVER happens. I've never heard of an ump admit he blew a call even years later.
    So much is said about how professional athletes are money grubbing, steroid using, wife beating, philandering thugs that I think this outcome is one of the best ones that a lover of sports could hope for. Yeah, the guy was wronged but everyone has stood up and worn the hat of responsibility and that is almost more rare than a perfect game anyways.
    P.S. No more instant replay in baseball...in fact, get rid of the rule they have. Just play the game like it's been played for over 100 years!

Cobra Commander + Larry - Mo * Curly = RiskyBack

3. #3 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You are right, the smile by Galarraga was priceless, and he has definitely been a class act about it all.  The Ump does appear to feel horrible, but the thing that's really bad is that it wasn't really all that close.  I'm sure it is a lot harder to make the call Live, but they also have to make that type of call live all the time, and my guess is about 100% of the rest of the time the runner is out (there really isn't much of a tie goes to the runner rule anymore IMO).

RiskyBack wrote:
    P.S. No more instant replay in baseball...in fact, get rid of the rule they have. Just play the game like it's been played for over 100 years!

I agree with that, although Umps should be making the right call too :P.

I've read a few articles and comments about how Selig should override the call and label it as a Perfect Game, that seems like it could work, not something that should occur all the time but once every 100 years or so doesn't seem too often.

Of course Selig is...well...Selig... so he probably will just try and move in the walls to get more home runs and eat up all the attention and $$$ that the missed call gets.

asm is a CYLON!!!

Edited Thu 3rd Jun 10:24 [history]

4. #4 / 12
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Who cares about baseball anyway?

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

5. #5 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cool intelligent people :). Go away kitty!

asm is a CYLON!!!

6. #6 / 12
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Instead of being #20 on perfect games that play now gets to be #1 on worst calls of all time, and #1 is always better than #20.

7. #7 / 12
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Vataro wrote: Who cares about baseball anyway?

ALN, my thoughts exactly!

8. #8 / 12
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

First ever 28-out perfect game. As far as Galarraga's incredibly impressive approach to it all, Joe Posnanski said it best:
    "Dallas Braden’s perfect game was thrilling. Roy Halladay’s perfect game was art. But Armando’s Galarraga’s perfect game was a lesson in grace."

But, I'm sorry, I can't have another conversation about this here of all places. 15 hours or so into it and I'm already completely worn out on this topic.

In heaven, there are no heart attacks

9. #9 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I've read a few articles and comments about how Selig should override the call and label it as a Perfect Game, that seems like it could work, not something that should occur all the time but once every 100 years or so doesn't seem too often.

Of course Selig is...well...Selig... so he probably will just try and move in the walls to get more home runs and eat up all the attention and $$$ that the missed call gets.

Ha!  Selig blows it, instead of making a one time exception (and saying don't expect anything like this to ever happen in the future), he just talks about "the expanded use of instant replay", which is worse than just reversing the call IMO.

asm is a CYLON!!!

10. #10 / 12
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Um, if he reversed this call than shouldn't the St. Louis Cardinals demand the 1985 World Series?
    9th inning, 2 outs, K.C. down 3 games to 2 in game 6. The runner was called safe at 1st when he was actually out. It would have ended the game and given the series to Yertle's Cardinals but instead K.C. won that game and went on to win game 7 and the Series.
    I don't like instant replay in baseball at all and think that the human element to the game is part of the game. In this case, it totally sucks, but it is a slippery slope and I don't want players having to adapt to the Umps strike zone each game to be lost. I think it is an important part of the game.
    I'm also more impressed with how both parties handled the situation than a perfect game anyways.

P.S. They are making a movie of "Money Ball" in 2011 and I am so excited I could become a Cubs fan.....wait, that's not true.

11. #11 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote: Um, if he reversed this call than shouldn't the St. Louis Cardinals demand the 1985 World Series?
    9th inning, 2 outs, K.C. down 3 games to 2 in game 6. The runner was called safe at 1st when he was actually out.

"The Call" was with 0 outs, and a slightly different situation (between no outs and 2 outs).  Not to mention the World Series occurs every year, unlike Perfect Games (although they look like they could become the norm with the crummy hitting in MLB now :P), and Galarraga retired the next batter as well, so the "cascade effect" also didn't occur.

Besides now the push will just be for instant replay after every close play, who's to say a close play with 1 out in the 5th losing by 7 shouldn't get instant replayed... yippee!

asm is a CYLON!!!

12. #12 / 12
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:although they look like they could become the norm with the crummy hitting in MLB now :P

I've heard arguments several times that players from the last decade are some of the worst ever. The arguments go that there are too many teams so the real 'pro-quality' guys are too spread out, the fields are set up for more hitting, the umps are favorable to the batters, etc.

I was slow to believe any of them, but it seems a little conspicuous that a year or so after a real push to get all these schmucks off their performance enhancing drugs that the pitchers have started acing them at about 4500% the historical rate.

... danger zone! ...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)