203 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 6
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I was curious what would happen in the event of a tie (aborted game) in a tournament game.  I was finally involved in a tie, and it marked both of us as having lost.  This is not the best reflection of the result.  

In other gaming arenas, this is dealt with by awarding both players a 1/2 win and a 1/2 loss so that wins and losses are even for the tournament.  Another system widely used avoids fractions by awarding points:  a win is worth 2 points, a tie worth 1 point, and a loss is 0 points.  Both systems generalize fairly well to multiplayer games.

2. #2 / 6
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    BlackDog wrote: It appears that terminated games count as a loss, is this how the system should work?

OK so I think in League tournaments (i.e. the two that we already have, Round Robin and Swiss System) terminations are OK - they should be treated as a draw, both players get 1/2 a point.

For elimination tournaments I don't think terminations should be possible as you need to pick who progresses to the next round. I think if a termination happens then that would be the same as both all remaining players surrendering.

Alternatively perhaps in tournaments you could vote to restart the game instead of vote to terminate?

Post 191 here: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/713p7/Tournaments_are_Live!

Not sure how it actually works though...

3. #3 / 6
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

It sounds like tom was leaning towards the 1/2 point in a two player draw (except in elimination tournaments), but it was implemented as handing both players a loss.

4. #4 / 6
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Sorry, I should reference before the reference nazis post. The tournament and game in question:

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/74
    http://www.wargear.net/games/view/21663

5. #5 / 6
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It was clear that our game was going nowhere, and from my estimation, any push to advance the front lines would be suicide.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

6. #6 / 6
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes you should have got 1/2 point each... there was a bug in the point allocation in the case of Terminated games which I will fix.

Edited Thu 1st Jul 02:23 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)