Rank Posn

How do I do that Yertle? THks.

4. #4 / 16
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Click on your name or icon, then "games list", then the last page, then open each game individually, and cut and paste the url of each game from your browser

like this one..

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/19027

..but we won't be happy until there is a "barren" designer feature.

5. #5 / 16
    Standard Member Angusjustice
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

6. #6 / 16
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I only watched a little bit of one game, and I'm sure there's a dozen tips we could throw at you, but I'm gonna stick with just one:

Whenever possible try to attack with the dice in your favor. For a standard Risk board, this means that you want to be attacking with 3 dice vs 1 defender, or 3 dice vs 2 defenders.

In the part of the game (23431) I watched, you focused on getting Europe early on, which is fine. What you did wrong was press the attack once the dice were not in your favor. The magic number of armies is 4. 4 means you get to roll 3 dice and have the best attacking odds possible. Anything less and you are throwing armies away.

Here's a list of the best odds:

3 vs 2

Attacker wins both: 2890 out of 7776 (37.17 %)
    Defender wins both: 2275 out of 7776 (29.26 %)
    Both win one: 2611 out of 7776 (33.58 %)

3 vs 1

Attacker wins 855 out of 1296 (65.97 %)
    Defender wins 441 out of 1296 (34.03 %)

Here's the odds when you are only attacking with 2:

2 vs 2

Attacker wins both: 295 out of 1296 (22.76 %)
    Defender wins both: 581 out of 1296 (44.83 %)
    Both win one: 420 out of 1296 (32.41 %)

2 vs 1

Attacker wins 125 out of 216 (57.87 %)
    Defender wins 91 out of 216 (42.13 %)

As you can see your odds drop considerably.

Repeat: The magic number is FOUR. =]

Where he keeps his liquor is a secret still.

7. #7 / 16
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thks but why am I losing when its 7 vs 3 and I end up with 1 and the defender still has 2 I feel its not realistic does it matter if your attacking across water? Thaks

8. #8 / 16
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I just started this game 2 mins ago heres my first attack 7-3 and I lose 4 right away this is unacceptable.
    1) http://www.wargear.net/games/player/23517

9. #9 / 16
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Second attack 9 vs 3 and I lose 6 end up with 3 unacceptable why is this happening so much? Cheers!
    1)http://www.wargear.net/games/player/23517

10. #10 / 16
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Hmmm ..apparently he doesn't know the cheat code for throwing 6's..  Wink   Should we tell him?

..but we won't be happy until there is a "barren" designer feature.

11. #11 / 16
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

don't be a smart *** M57 LOL just venting.

12. #12 / 16
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

As the site population ramps up, I'm sure we'll have to add a special forum for people to go complain about how the random number generator has selected them personally for a lifetime of bad rolling. Or at least a sticky.

It should be noted that we will not need a special forum for people to complain about when the random number generator has selected them for a lifetime of good rolling. The RNG just doesn't swing that way.

In your Face!

13. #13 / 16
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

My only advice is, if you see this happening regularly, do not use the "attack with all" or "attack with all + transfer" buttons, if you use them. Simply attack once with 3, and then make the next decision to attack after you see the results of that first roll. Often, if I lose 2 on the first attack and dont have a lot of units, I will count my losses and either try to take a 1 unit territory for a card or just end my turn outright, giving me more units next turn to make a stronger attack.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

14. #14 / 16
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Vataro wrote: My only advice is, if you see this happening regularly, do not use the "attack with all" or "attack with all + transfer" buttons, if you use them. Simply attack once with 3, and then make the next decision to attack after you see the results of that first roll. Often, if I lose 2 on the first attack and dont have a lot of units, I will count my losses and either try to take a 1 unit territory for a card or just end my turn outright, giving me more units next turn to make a stronger attack.

Quote in toto. As I said in another thread, if you see the defender rolling 6s one after another (or either killing all you're units), just stop. Get a card if you can (in the way Vataro suggested) and then stop. Take a breath, hit the "end turn" button, and wait for the next turn!

And one more thing. Don't forget the "psycological" side of good/bad rolling. We usually weigth more bad happenings than good ones. Have you ever counted the good rolls you get? Statistically speaking they should be slightly more than the bad ones!

To understand completely what I'm saying, you should count every roll you do and classify it as good (you don't lose units), bad (you lose them all) or even (1 unit lost each). Then just look at the result. You should get exactly the numbers IRoll11s posted early (more data you collect, more the numbers will be the same).

But I don't suggest this approach. Just work on strategy!!! It's far more important and easier!

;)

15. #15 / 16
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thks guys I'll try what u said Vataro Cheers!

16. #16 / 16
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

My two cents...I am a firm believer in total unit count advantage. Watch your total unit count and don't let it slip too far behind your opponents. This tags onto what Vataro suggested. Being patient and just stopping will pay off later in the game. When your counts get too low you are a target for elimination and unable to counter-attack.

In the end, all things are squishy.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)