201 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Some questions about the Colors tab of a board.

First, does it make sense that all the columns can be sorted?  This seems unneeded and potentially confusing.  It also breaks stuff, sort then move and things get even more wacky.

Second, Starting Bonus (which the menu blends in with the colors menu so it's difficult to see), what does "Default" really mean, doesn't that just mean 0 or are there plans to add a Rule that sets Default?

Last (for now Smile), the Starting Bonus is tied to the Seat Number and not the Color correct?

Thanks!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

2. #2 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Playing with this and actually nothing happens when setting Starting Bonus to a number...

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/44489

Add to that that the Starting Cards did nothing as well...

Stasis Scenario: http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/1848

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

Edited Wed 12th Jan 15:18 [history]

3. #3 / 29
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Good point about sorting I'll disable that in the next build. 'Default' means give me the starting bonus as per the board settings. '0' means give me zero starting bonus.

Yes Starting Bonus should be tied to Color.

4. #4 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Good point about sorting I'll disable that in the next build. 'Default' means give me the starting bonus as per the board settings. '0' means give me zero starting bonus.

Yes Starting Bonus should be tied to Color.

Gotchya with the Starting Bonus, that makes sense now.

Starting Bonus should be tied to Color? That doesn't make sense does it?  Is the Starting Bonus dependent upon other Rules other than Initial Startup to be Setup based, assuming that even is, which I've tried both ways with no success.

5. #5 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Playing with this and actually nothing happens when setting Starting Bonus to a number...

You need to turn 'Lock player colors to specified seat number' otherwise those settings are ignored.

6. #6 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

You need to turn 'Lock player colors to specified seat number' otherwise those settings are ignored.

I don't want to {#emotions_dlg.razz}

So really why is it like that?  That's different from the ability to set Seat numbers on the Setup tab and then players get to choose there colors and get a Random set.  Ideally I would like the same for Starting Bonus units. 

For example, I want Player 5 to get 3 bonus troops since he gets stuck going last, but I want players to be able to choose their colors but not force Purple to always be Seat 5.  Same goes for Starting Cards.  I think this currently could be unfavored once people start using it as it's a restriction.

7. #7 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

And that didn't work completely either: http://www.wargear.net/games/view/44489

Notice Seat 2 doesn't get the Starting Cards nor Starting Bonus (Reserves Allowed are set to 0 if that's going to make a difference).

Actually wondering if there are more predicaments with this too (ie Starting Bonus should be extra/less bonus from Default rather than THE first amount).

8. #8 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Ok it should be working now - also I removed that requirement to Lock player colors to seat.

9. #9 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Ok it should be working now - also I removed that requirement to Lock player colors to seat.

Nope: http://www.wargear.net/games/view/44623 (New game just to have it fresh, the previous one got a bit wacky because Yurog was skipped immediately at 3 a.m. assuming it was something related to you)

Seat 1 is getting Seat 2s Starting Bonus and Cards and Seat 2 is getting nothing. So first it looks like Bonus/Cards are tied to the Color and not the Seat and then Seat 2 is just broke.

Sorry tom Frown

10. #10 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes that was me I was messing around with it.

In the Rules you have both 'Lock order in which seats take turns' AND 'Lock player colors to specified seat colors' turned Off.

So players are choosing a color, then they are being randomly assigned a seat. The seat they are given determines which bonus they get. If you want the color to determine what bonus you get then you need to lock colors to seats.

Seat 2 will get a starting bonus when his turn starts.

11. #11 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Seat 1 should get cards AAA and 2 Units.  Seat 1 should get cards BBB and 10 Units.

2 January 13, 2011 09:15 AM 1 Assigned seat 1 to Yurog
    3 January 13, 2011 09:15 AM 2 Assigned seat 2 to Yertle

Seat 1 is getting:

75 January 13, 2011 09:15 AM 1 Yurog received 10 bonus units

And (even though it isn't shown in the log) Cards BBB.

Seat 2 is getting:

78 January 13, 2011 10:25 AM 2 Yertle received 2 bonus units

And (even though it isn't shown in the log) Cards AAA.

It looks like the Cards/Bonus is following the Colors and not the Seats.

So I guess Seat 2 is getting something, although would be nice if that was seen at the start of the game rather than having to just know it.

Edited Thu 13th Jan 11:32 [history]

12. #12 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Follow that with Round 2:

81 January 13, 2011 10:29 AM 1 Yurog received 10 bonus units

Should just be the 3 units and not the Starting Bonus again.  Cards look fine (did not get redistributed).

13. #13 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes you're right the bonus is locked to the color unless colors are locked to seats of course.

That bug should be fixed now.

14. #14 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Yes you're right the bonus is locked to the color unless colors are locked to seats of course.

That's intended?

That doesn't make sense does it?

15. #15 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

the bonus is locked to the color unless colors are locked to seats of course.

Is this how this is going to stay?

16. #16 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes unless you can persuade me otherwise :)

I'm not sure why it is a problem? If you want the bonus to go with the seat then lock the seat to the color. If you don't want players to choose which seat they get then don't let them choose their own color. That way you effectively get random seat allocation and the seat to bonus relationship is locked.

17. #17 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Allocating territories/units in the Setup are tied to the Seat because the Seat is much more important than player Color.  It doesn't matter what color a player chooses but rather when the player takes his turn as to what territories/units he should have at the start.  In the same way if I allocate units/cards to a player then I don't really care about the color they choose but when the player's turn is.

Yes it is possible to do this by locking the seat to color, but then that restricts colors available for players.  For example if on Global Warfare you wanted to give an extra 3 units to players 5-8 to help "balance" the start, then to do this you would have to lock seat to color which then puts the restriction of player color choice.  Where as if you just gave player 8 two territories in Australia via the Setup, then player 8 could still be any color since Setup is tied to Seat and not color.

Without a change I would say that it doesn't make sense to honor starting units/cards without lock seat to color enabled as I think there could be potential problems there.

What's the reasoning of Card/Unit allocation being tied to Color rather than how Setup does and following Seat?  (Although I do think it is/would be somewhat confusing with the Unit/Card allocation on the Colors tab, ideally I would think it would be best with the Setup tab as it's more a part of Setup than Colors.)

Feel free to have as you think best, although I'll just go ahead and throw on the record that I don't think it can be used to it's full possibilities the current way and I think it will be brought up again in the future Smile, but I'll leave it be with your decision.

18. #18 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Starting Bonus of 0 was not honored in this game: http://www.wargear.net/games/view/45586

19. #19 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'm reviewing will get back to you.

20. #20 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief